Sunday, August 7, 2016

Big Trouble In Little China

Big Trouble in Little China (1986)

Runtime: 99 minutes

Directed by: John Carpenter

Starring: Kurt Russell, James Hong, Dennis Dun, Kim Cattrall, Victor Wong

From: 20th Century Fox

Yes, I have seen this before. I was happy to see this again and finally review it here. My Letterboxd review is below: 

Of course this is a movie I've seen a few times before in my life (the first time was with my dad; it had to be shortly after it came out on VHS) but the last viewing was years ago, so on the 30th anniversary of this coming out back in 1986, what better time to review this for Letterboxd? It's never a movie I have loved but I always thought it was entertaining, a delicious over the top stew filled with many odd yet tasty ingredients.

I imagine most know of how Jack Burton (Kurt Russell; no relation) is the guy who you think is the hero of this picture but the loudmouth full of bluster and braggadocio Burton is usually a buffoon and it is people like his partner Wang Chi (Dennis Dun) and the old sorcerer Egg Shen (Victor Wong) who are actually more heroic in this tale of weird goings-in in San Francisco's Chinatown, which looks normal if you look at the buildings on the street but some of them hide bizarre things. An ancient spirit named Lo Pan-he's been alive for more than 2000 years-needs to marry a green eyed girl... as long as she can survive an elaborate initiation, that is.

I am not surprised that when it was first released it was a box office disappointment; the movie is very weird what with all the Chinese magic being shown; I have no idea if any of the Chinese superstitions mentioned in the movie are actual Chinese superstitions or legend or lore; I'll just say that it's all fun seeing all those strange happenings, between people shooting off lightning from their hands or someone expanding until they explode. It's a colorful adventure where you get to see exciting martial arts, strange sights and amusing dialogue. I wish this still wasn't the case in 2016, but I have to give the movie props for having “the white guy” be a fool and the cast being full of Asians or Asian-American actors.

Of course, there are rumors of a remake that will star The Rock. Now, if the remake was more based on the original script and it would be set in 1890's San Francisco and Jack Burton was a cowboy, I would be there opening night. As I presume it won't be, then I have no desire ever to see it. I say that people should stick with the cult classic original.

No comments:

Post a Comment