Tuesday, November 24, 2015

The Internship

The Internship (2013)

34% on Rotten Tomatoes (out of 158 reviews)

Runtime: 119 minutes

Directed by: Shawn Levy

Starring: Vince Vaughn, Owen Wilson, Josh Brenner, Dylan O'Brien, Max Minghella

From: 20th Century Fox/Regency Enterprises

I apologize for being gone for so long with no word; I was preoccupied with other things, including going to a gaming event in Orlando on both Friday and Saturday. I'll try to get back in the swing of things but I may be sporadic for the rest of the year. As for this movie, it was not my choice to see this, and I'll leave it at that. The Letterboxd review is below: 

The past few days I have been preoccupied with other things so I have not had the time to watch any films. Those things aren't anything bad, and I'll leave it at that. I was not expecting this movie to be the one I saw last night for a review, but without going into details on why, I was somewhere else and I had no voice in the matter so I had to see this, despite not having any desire to ever do so. I saw the PG-13 version and not the unrated version, although I highly doubt that would change my rating at all. Turns out, this was pretty bad, and the common complaint of “This is just a 2 hour commercial for a company that does not need such a plug” isn't even my biggest gripe with it.

I presume most are familiar with the plot so I won't spend much time describing how two dopey man-children in Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson lose their crappy jobs so they decide to apply for a Google internship and of course they act like dopes at first so there's a clash with the “youths” they have to work with but of course things change and they get along and yawn...

What constitutes modern humor just doesn't interest me. As the lack of modern superhero movie reviews I've done reflects how much I care about such things, me not watching most of the comedies that have come out in recent years speaks volumes. Considering that much of the “humor” was “a bunch of incessant babbling that sometimes included 80's references”, it doesn't cut the mustard for me. I only chuckled a few times and that includes a lewd gag. Then, there's the fact that this is a commercial for Google to show off how cool their headquarters is, yet the place doesn't look appealing to work at, as not only is it filled with D-bag interns, but the guy who leads that internship is a gigantic A-hole; what a great plug for Google!

The movie tries to have some poignant moments and I guess that was OK but overall this was just not good; it's filled with eye-rolling cliches, gross characters and like I said, I did not get many laughs at all out of this. The fact that there aren't too many films that I've seen in my life (whether or not I have them listed here) that have had either Mr. Vaughn or Mr. Wilson, that again speaks volumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment