Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The President's Analyst

The President's Analyst (1967)

Runtime: 103 minutes

Directed by: Theodore J. Flicker

Starring: James Coburn, Godfrey Cambridge, Severn Darden, Joan Delaney, Barry McGuire

From: Paramount

This is a movie I was able to see again via the RetroPlex channel; I had seen this one before; I don't quite remember how I found out about it but the only other viewing was way back in my college days and I rented the VHS from the local videostore; yes, it was a long time ago. Now, onto the Letterboxd review:

I am thankful that some cable channels still show older movie. It is because of the RetroPlex station that I was able to see this for a second time; I had actually seen this before, but that viewing was so long ago it was via VHS tape, so needless to say I did not remember too much about it so I was happy for this revisit, and this time in its proper widescreen format.

This is a tale of psychiatrist Sidney Schaefer (James Coburn) who gets asked to work for the President and he agrees, only to become stressed and paranoid... for good reason as various organizations are looking to get the information he is told, or kill him to prevent that information from getting out. Even after the references to the CIA and FBI were changed to the CEA and FBR, the latter was still pissed; considering that they were portrayed as being neurotic A-holes who were all short men, it's no surprise J. Edgar would be rankled.

I won't dare reveal all the plot points or the surprises in this satirical comedy that is certainly dated (there is a subplot involving a hippie band) but it does get wacky, for sure. You do get to see William Daniels long before his Mr. Feeny days or even when he voiced K.I.T.T. The ultimate villain of the film is certainly wacky but it's a nice bit of satire. Viewing it again I realize that it is hinted at throughout the film.

While this is dated and sometimes uneven, it's still a film I am entertained by most of the time; it's wry and sly humor works for me. It was nicely directed and has quality cinematography from William A. Fraker and a cool score from Lalo Schifrin. In short this is a gem that should be more widely known.

I'll return tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment