Thursday, December 5, 2013

Homefront

Homefront (2013)

36% on Rotten Tomatoes (out of 77 reviews)

Runtime: 100 minutes

Directed by: Gary Fleder

Starring: Jason Statham, James Franco, Winona Ryder, Clancy Brown, Izabela Vidovic

From: Open Road

Here is the movie I went and saw earlier today. I went to a mall I rarely go to in order to check it out as I was out and about today. I have been interested in seeing this for awhile now given that it was written and co-produced by Sly Stallone, the plot sounds interesting and hey, it's Statham kicking ass.

The plot, as explained by myself: Statham is Phil Broker, a former DEA agent who quits after an incident where the teenage son of a bad guy gets killed and he doesn't agree with it. Two years later you see Broker and his 9 year old daughter living in the rural Louisiana area where his now deceased wife grew up in. They live on a nice ranch with some horses. The daughter defends herself against a chubby boy who bullies her; she bloodies him in a hilarious scene. His white trash parents are NOT happy and that causes friction. Turns out, they are releated to GATOR BODINE, the local bad guy who happens to make a lot of meth. Gator tries to deal with Broker and the fit hits the shan, so to speak.

I have heard mixed reviews about this film. However, I happen to think it was quite entertaining and just plain fun. It's certainly not fancy, complex, or inventive. But me, I am okay with this being a simple meat and potatoes film where you can shut off your brain for awhile and you can ignore how seemingly a plot thread or two was dropped and not really resolved and you can enjoy an awesome good guy/family man who does battle with some A-hole bad guys and as it's Statham he kicks ass in a gleefully grand manner. Stuff explodes and people either get killed or hurt badly and it was rad.

Sure, it could have been better but I was still happy and I laughed at various moments during this simple yet effective action flick. If you're a fan of the genre in general then it's worth a watch; I suppose you could wait for DVD or Blu-Ray; as it's not doing so well at the box office I was happy to help out there. 

I'll be back Saturday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment