Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Immortals

Immortals 3D (2011)

36% on Rotten Tomatoes (out of 100 reviews)

Runtime: 110 minutes

Directed by: Tarsem Singh

Starring: Henry Cavill, Mickey Rourke, Steven Dorff, Freida Pinto, John Hurt

From: Relativity Media


Finally, here’s a review of this movie, which I saw in 3D early Sunday evening. When I first heard about it a few months ago I couldn’t have cared less. It just didn’t look appealing to me. Then, I heard from some people online that the 3D visuals look tremendous and it was a fun story. Then, once it came out I heard more of the same. So suddenly it was of interest of me. But, it was just this past Sunday that I had the time and felt like checking this out.

The story wasn’t too complex, to say the least. It’s set in the BC era in Greece, and there are Gods and their enemy, called the Titans. Rourke’s character King Hyperion is evil and mad at the Gods so he wants to unleash the Titans to destroy said Gods. He has to find a magical bow and arrow to do so, though. Meanwhile, there’s Thesus, a common person who has to escape the village he lives in as Hyperion is going to lay waste to it. Things happen and he meets up with an oracle (Pinto). It turns out that Thesus may have been blessed by the Gods… literally.

As I expected, the story wasn’t anything special. It’s serviceable, though. If you enjoy the “sword & sandal” sort of story then you might enjoy this. What was clearly the highlight (well, besides the nudity from the body double of Pinto) were the visuals and the violence. The director had only done two other movies before, both visually strong, and that was more of the case here. The violence literally in your face was pretty sweet. It was like 300… only good. That’s another topic for another day, though.

There isn’t too much else to say. The movie was exactly what I expected. I am glad it wasn’t boring to watch. The pace is quick-enough and it’s cheesy fun. It looks great and if you do want to see it, I recommend doing so in 3D.

I’ll be back Saturday afternoon with a new review.

No comments:

Post a Comment