Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Endless Summer

The Endless Summer (1966)

Runtime: 95 minutes

Directed by: Bruce Brown

Starring: Actual surfers such as Michael Hyson and Robert August, narrated by Bruce Brown

From: Bruce Brown Films


Here’s something a little different from me: a documentary, and something even odder… a surfing film. I briefly reviewed one, which I saw at a screening at Universal Orlando when I was the only person in the auditorium. It’s known as Bustin’ Down The Door, from 2008. I reviewed it many months after I had seen it that one time, so that’s why it wasn’t my best. I’ll have to try and track that down one of these days. I haven’t even found it on the streaming video sites. I mean, to be perfectly honest, that’s how I watched this movie… so sue me!

The aforementioned Bustin’ was about some 70’s surfers whose impact was so great they changed surfing forever, whether or not you consider it to be for better or for worse in that it got commercialized. This movie is different. It’s back in a simpler time where some dudes did it more for fun and that indescribable rush rather than any cash prize. Bruce Brown had done small-time surfing movies before, but this is seen as his best. Accompanied by appropriate groovy surf music and calm narration, you follow some surfers search for “the perfect wave” as they are lucky to travel the entire world looking for one; you also see them interact with the locals.

Given that they are surfers and they have quite the awesome laid-back lifestyle where they live on the beach and whenever they can they can ride the wave (at least that’s the stereotype), it’s no surprise that you have goofy and droll humor. It works perfectly for this, trust me. I wish I had that sort of lifestyle, but as my athletic ability is about 0… sigh. It is a sport that you rarely get to see on TV so I’m sure that’s why there are many different surfing documentaries out there throughout many different decades and this is the second one I’ve seen but I’m sure that all of them look at things in a unique way, so as I possibly watch more and more of them, that will be neat to see how they differ.

If you want to see a quaint and nice movie with some daft humor and of course some pretty scenery, then you should enjoy it. It is also a nice look at how being a surfer is, at least back in the carefree 60's. It’s on YouTube in 10 parts. It’s not difficult to find.

I'll be back Sunday night with a new review.

No comments:

Post a Comment