Monday, November 15, 2010

A Special Diversion

No movie review tonight. I am too ticked off to do so. Instead I’ll talk about a movie website which stooped to a new low today.

I know I’ve mentioned it before, but for the past few years I’ve looked at the forum at CHUD.com. I don’t really read the articles on the site itself, as it’s mainly stuff written by (and I’m using a quote that was posted anonymously on the bottom of the page of the offending article; you see, stupidly all of the articles have *anonymous* commenting. How asinine is that?) “hip latte-drinking faux intellectual f*******s”. It’s a hipster site with hipster writers that think they’re oh so witty when they’re just pompous assbags that aren’t entertaining to read at all. They think they're great, writing smug articles while listening to awful garbage like Sonic Youth or The Pixies. I've never liked hipsters; I prefer more "real" individuals. The forum itself, I only looked at a few threads at most. Those threads are great, but still most of the board I just ignored.

Well, I’ve been irked by the site as of late. The hipster smugness has increased, there are some stupid hypocritical new rules on the forum, and then today… oh today… I follow CHUD on Twitter. This afternoon I see that they posted an article about a proposed Spiderman musical. That’s not the horrifying part, although the idea of that even taking place is befuddling. Instead, it was what the article was titled. Here it is.

Yes, the title actually is: “The Spiderman Musical: The Worst Thing To Hit NYC Since Flight 175?” Now, I am not an expert on the subject matter but it was easy to infer what it was referencing, and yes, after looking online, Flight 175 was the plane that crashed into the South Tower of the World Trade Center on 9/11.

Seriously, CHUD used cheap heat in order to get attention and more page views, since by George the site NEEDS more page views and that is paramount over everything else. They actually thought it was OK to piss on everyone who was affected by September 11th just so that they’d get people to look at one of the vapid and stupid articles. Talk about offensive.

Me, I wasn’t even offended at the joke itself; it wasn’t too funny. It’s the idea that they’d use September 11 for comedy AND the way they used it for attention. Why would you even do such a horrible thing? Thousands of people were affected by what happened. I had relatives who lived now that far from the World Trade Center (one of them worked only a few blocks from there). None of them were harmed when the buildings went down, but Christ, how callous and heartless do you have to be? Why risk offending so many people for something so trite?

After I saw that garbage, it makes me not want to look at the site ever again. As is, I don’t feel like looking at the site anytime soon and if you decide to look at the link I provided, I hope it’s the last time you look at it yourself. Don’t support sites that think it’s acceptable to act this way. Hell, I even made a post on the forum and used my birth name (my handle on there isn’t my birth name) in a post where I got pretty mad and stated the obvious of it being offensive crap. Amazingly, I seem to be the only one on the forum who at least is willing to state the truth about it being tasteless. Everyone else is either complacent with it, or in some cases, the asshole who came up with the article and headline (some douche whose name doesn’t even deserve to be mentioned) actually got praised for being so “edgy” or what have you. I spit upon that guy and anyone who defends him! And I’m happy to do so to honor all of those who lost their lives in 9/11 or anyone who was affected by the tragedy.

That REALLY has left me in a bad mood for the rest of the day. Even now, hours after I first saw the headline, my blood is boiling. So, my next review will be up on Thursday and I should be in a better mood then. But until then, here’s a middle finger, directed straight at CHUD.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment