Friday, March 5, 2010

Bustin' Down The Door

Bustin’ Down The Door (2008)

Runtime: 95 minutes

Directed by: Jeremy Gosch

Starring: Wayne Bartholomew, Ian Cairns, Mark Richards, Shaun Thomson, narrated by Edward Norton

From: Fresh & Smoked


Here is something that also falls into the obscure category, but this is much more modern. Now, I don’t really follow surfing at all and it’s not like I really fit into the culture, even though some of the clothing is cool, I enjoy being on the beach, and yeah, the rare times I get to see it, it’s neat to watch. Still, I have little knowledge of its history (looking here is one way to get an idea as to its heritage) so when I saw back in September of ’08 that Universal Citywalk would be showing this movie there I thought it’d be worthwhile to go, as I’m always a nonfiction fan and getting to learn something new about an interesting subject is a plus in my book.

Unfortunately I haven’t seen the film since the viewing on the big screen, but here is what I do remember about it. It is about several surfers (from Australia and South Africa) who travel to various places to surf in the 70’s. In the middle of that decade they so happened to make a big impact in Hawaii with their brash attitude and then later, their idea to make surfing more of a big business with large cash sums on the line. This kind of attitude rubbed the locals the wrong way and there’s serious conflict before the beef gets squashed. That’s the plot in a nutshell.

From what I remember, it was a very interesting story with real-life (rather than manufactured drama) twists and turns and all that. Plus, the old footage they had was very interesting to watch and yeah, the surfing stuff was entertaining. So, if you can find it on DVD and enjoy stuff like documentaries and the surfing scene, it’s worth seeing. Speaking of that, when I saw it on the big screen, I was the only person in attendance. Eh, oh well. Check back in a week’s time for at least one new review.

No comments:

Post a Comment