Friday, November 24, 2023

Thanksgiving (The Movie)

So, my plans changed; I was able to write a review for the film after arriving home from a 12:10 PM screening of it today. I posted that on Letterboxd before I left that town I was staying in to come back home. Now that I am back home now, onto posting the review here: 

Thanksgiving (2023)

82% on Rotten Tomatoes (out of 114 reviews)

Runtime: 106 minutes

Directed by: Eli Roth

Starring: Patrick Dempsey, Nell Verlaque, Gabriel Davenport, Jalen Thomas Brooks, Addison Rae

From: TriStar/Spyglass Media Group

Well, you can't say I did not see this in an appropriate setting. Wednesday afternoon, I made a 3 hour drive to a different part of Florida for Thanksgiving; as people from literally all over the world follow me (a fact which will never not blow my mind) on Letterboxd, in the United States that is always the fourth Thursday each November. Those festivities went well. As I had free time in the early afternoon today, why not use my AMC A-List pass to visit the city's cineplex for the first time? Much to my chagrin, the place was straight out of the early 90's; I mean, the days even before stadium seating, those old uncomfortable chairs, etc. The sound bled over from the next auditorium, which was most regrettable. Except for that, it WAS a fitting place to see a new film based on a 2007 trailer for a film which aped the grindhouse experience & the implied setting in that trailer was the 80's.

Only a small part of that trailer carried over into this film, which was set in modern times. I was crestfallen no one stated, “It's blood...”, then a police officer responded, “Son of a...” I'd love to have seen Michael Biehn say it again, but it could have been anyone else. Regardless, what helped the most at my screening was a small but raucous crowd. Thank heavens they didn't flap their gums during the screening but did laugh uproariously at the humor far more than I did and most importantly, had the pitch-perfect reactions to all the graphic gore, not to mention the killer's reveal. If not for them, perhaps all the F-bombs would have been more grating, or the story holes would have been more obvious, or the lack of subtlety would have stuck out more. Then again, I shouldn't complain too hard in any case; at least this isn't drab, somber, dreary “elevated horror” which is not only pretentious, but a lack of color saturation seems to be a prerequisite.

As for the story, a tragic event happens Thanksgiving night, so the next year the killer looks for revenge on those that they deem responsible. A John Carver mask is worn; unless you're a history buff, you won't know that John Carver was one of the original pilgrims that came over on the Mayflower & landed on Plymouth Rock in 1620.

For all its faults, at least this tried to be a fun slasher with practical gore that certainly entertained my crowd... along w/ me. The young cast that I didn't really know for the most part were fine; yes, this includes Addison Rae, who at least isn't being eviscerated like she was in reviews for He's All That. The fact that her role was supporting probably helped. For someone that age-wise is old enough to be the father of those high school kids, they were stereotypically dumb to me... in the beginning. It was nice seeing Patrick Dempsey and Gina Gershon; would you believe she's 61 years old right now? Doesn't look it... I mention that for no particular reason. There WAS a minor character best described as “Steve Buscemi as an 18 year old”, more in voice & attitude than appearance; I wouldn't have minded more of him.

Otherwise, there's the standard red herrings and a plot which perhaps wouldn't pass scrutiny upon second viewing. But, there still were solid laughs (I wouldn't dare spoil the best gag), there is a cat which did NOT die, and I am thankful... this was not a TURKEY. OK, one of the production companies (Spyglass Media Group) apparently were the ones that fired Melissa Barrera from the seventh Scream movie, but that has no effect on the rating and how about I quickly end this review NOW before asking for a gigantic s---storm in the comments...

No comments:

Post a Comment