Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Happy (Belated) Halloween

Here's my take on experiencing The Nightmare Before Christmas in a memorable fashion last week: 

This is Halloween! Yes, I reviewed the movie three years ago but I went and saw the movie theatrically last week… in 4DX and 3D at a Regal Cinemas. It’s a wacky gimmick which could have folded long ago or otherwise been a flop that is just hanging on, but instead is still present in various cinemas across the world. Incidentally, I’ve only experienced 4DX at revival screenings (It, Gremlins) and it’s amusing… once in awhile. Your seat moving to the action-a bit much at times-along with light effects, fog, fake snow, water, and other effects is not an experience to have all the time, IMO. Then again, I should have seen The Exorcist: Believer and Expend4bles that way… that would have made me not bored out of my mind watching those atrocities!

As for the movie, there are regrets that it wasn’t watched until I was an adult. That happened when I was guilt-tripped by a lady I used to talk to online (she lived in Maryland, so it wasn’t one of those relationships); this was her favorite film and was AGHAST that I hadn’t even seen it once. In any case, in the past 15 years I’ve always had a smile on my face during the occasional sojourns to the Gothic delight that is Halloween Town.

The stop-motion animation I still love now—the same goes for the characters and the songs. Much to my sister’s consternation, this is a favorite of one of my toddler nephews… she just doesn’t vibe with the movie, as I learned last year. It did warm my heart that there was a family in attendance among all the young adults that were in the crowd. The way I watched the film last week was undoubtedly the wackiest; thankfully there were more traditional 2D and 3D screenings all across the United States since Friday the 20th for those wanting to see it for the first time theatrically, share it w/ their family, cosplay (which sadly did not occur at my screening), etc.

Whether you consider it a Halloween film, Christmas film, or even both… it’s one I was happy to see in an extravagant way this October, not to mention close out my Spooky Season for 2023. I’ll officially post my list sometime tomorrow evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment