Friday, April 14, 2023

Sentinelle

Sentinelle (2021)

Runtime: 80 minutes

Directed by: Julien Leclercq

Starring: Olga Kurylenko, Marilyn Lima, Michel Nabokoff, Martin Swabey, Carole Weyers

From: Several studios, although I watched this on Netflix

The low overall rating this has, I understand; an explanation will be given as to why I feel the movie is fine. Of course, there's personal taste and all, and how this has a retro sort of vibe in terms of having a hero who is far from infallible; the T&A and lesbian sex scene done to titillate... your mileage will vary on how positive or negative that is for you.

Olga Kurylenko-the one name I knew in the cast-played a French Sentinel named Klara; the movie shows title cards after the first scene to explain, but I'll clarify that they are members of the military who are an anti-terrorist unit. Klara was top of the class in training so she's unhappy with being a Sentinel. Unfortunately for her, she also deals with PTSD and an addiction to pills. At least she's transferred to her hometown so time can be spent with mom and sister and suddenly things are great... right? Wrong.

Something pretty bad happens to the sister and because of circumstances, it is Klara who has to get some sweet, sweet revenge. Now, it's not a deep dive into Klara's trauma yet I was never bored, and even if I did not always love how the action was presented, overall it entertained me and there was a presence of realism. Again, a heroine who isn't someone without fault or is totally unstoppable seems rare in modern times. Thank heavens that Olga Kurylenko was able to deliver with her performance, whether it was the action beats or the dramatic ones. Others have noted that she deserved a better career than the one she got; from what little I've seen, no argument from me.

As for director Julien Leclercq, others have praised the other films he has done; one day I should find out for myself if that's an opinion to agree with. I do know that just days ago he was announced as doing another film for Netflix; it's a remake of... The Wages of Fear! As rare of an opinion as it is, The Wages of Fear AND Sorcerer are movies I like more than love; henceforth, the idea of a remake is not automatically blasphemous to me. It's the general mediocre nature (“mid” is a term you'll never see me use) of Netflix Original productions that is more cause for concern for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment