Monday, April 3, 2023

A Melancholy Update

Sorry for being gone for a few days. As someone who grew up in Belvidere, Illinois, what happened a few days ago did bum me out. I explain it below after mentioning that last night I revisited the Takashi Miike version of 13 Assassins; it's not something I love as much as the theatrical film festival experience twelve (!) years ago but it's still very good. Now, onto a 1917 Fatty Arbuckle/Buster Keaton short called Coney Island: 

Truth be told, I am surprised a review is even being done today. Something short and comedic seemed right so this was watched earlier on Saturday. The reason why for my mood: those that follow the news nationally or perhaps even internationally would have heard that the Apollo Theatre in Belvidere, Illinois had its roof collapse after bad storms that may have been a tornado; as a death metal concert was about to happen, loss of life and injury happened. It is a 100 year old building which did originally open as a movie theatre.

Those wondering why I am elaborating on this incident: Belvidere, Illinois is my old hometown, the place I grew up from infancy through all my childhood. The Apollo was driven by many times in my life, as it’s located downtown; the place was restored and opened back up as an entertainment venue during my college days so I only went inside once. The whole scenario is just tragic. Henceforth, my wanting to watch a silent comedy.

The reason why a Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle short was selected: so I could mention that a character based on him and his infamous night w/ Virginia Rappe in 1920 was referenced in the first act of Babylon. Via the Criterion Channel I saw this early Buster Keaton effort; hijinks are shown as Fatty, Buster, their spouses and some others spend time in Coney Island. At the time several amusement parks were in town and truth be told, the big draw for me was seeing all the vintage attractions.

There are pratfalls and various laughs to be had, but boy was Fatty’s character portrayed as a simpleton; Buster’s character was more interesting to me anyhow. Heck, he was even emotive. I’m sure many won’t think of it as “hilarious” that the last part of the movie features Arbuckle dressed as a woman-Keaton doing a standing backflip is more to our tastes. While this was not the best I’ve seen from the two leads by any means, the laughs were still much appreciated at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment