Sunday, October 3, 2021

Smooth Talk

Smooth Talk (1985)

Runtime: 92 minutes

Directed by: Joyce Chopra

Starring: Laura Dern, Mary Kay Place, Elizabeth Berridge, Levon Helm, Treat Williams

From: American Playhouse

Another messageboard recommendation.

Last month on a board I won't specifically mention but sometimes do reference in reviews, someone mentioned that they saw and liked this movie. I commented that the film has only been known to me once it was released in HD (first by Olive Films then by Criterion just earlier this year) and its distinctive poster. This person responded that they hoped I liked it; this meant I'd better see it soon rather than leave him hanging. Thus, even though this is totally not in my typical wheelhouse, it was a very good effort which I have no regrets in seeing.

Early in her career Laura Dern plays 15 year old Connie in a small town who has to deal with her budding sexuality, her friends, and the difficult relationship she has with her parents & quite a bit older sister. She's a typical 15 year old (it applies to both boys and girls) who is moody and impulsive; as I've seen such behavior before, it was no surprise that Connie was interested in the older boys at the burger stand which naturally would be a hip hangout in what is not a bustling metropolis. The majority of this is a serious drama where the viewer gets to see the characters interact with each other and try to get along. Of course, in 2021 I snickered at the period music, fashion, and hair. A few minutes was spent at a stereotypical 80's mall and that was a blast for me.

Then again, this also has some James Taylor songs, which is random. Hopefully the average reader of this review will even know who James Taylor is-he's a famous singer most popular in the 70's who had some personal demons but is still touring... then again, Taylor Swift was apparently named after him so perhaps I shouldn't question his Q rating. Perhaps more will be not as familiar with some of the co-stars who I recognized immediately, like Mary Kay Place, Elizabeth Berridge or Levon Helm-hopefully The Last Waltz means that the light bulb will go off & you'll go, “Oh yeah, he's the lead singer of The Band”; Helm had some acting credits.

I do have to be specific about a 20 minute section of the film that is in contrast to the rest; while it would be comforting to think that no one reading this review has experienced such predatory tactics as grooming, but odds are... to be specific, Treat Williams shows up and attempts to groom a 15 year old despite from all appearances being about twice her age. It's a long extended bit and as I understand this exploitation of minors happens far too often, this extended segment made my skin crawl. The cast overall is good as is the production, but Dern and Williams are the highlights & that segment will be the creepiest thing I see all month, no doubt about it. Note that this is based on the Joyce Carol Oates short story “Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?”, which is said to be based on real life serial killer Charles Schmid, so that's the sort of vibes Friend gave off.  From Wikipedia, the movie changed some things in the adaptation.

Overall it was a searing look at an awkward teenager & her struggles in becoming a woman. To be frank, when I was a teen there were occasions where I acted a fool so Connie can't be demonized by me. Anyhow, perhaps this is why I should step out of my comfort zone-when it comes to motion pictures-more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment