Monday, April 5, 2021

New York, New York

New York, New York (1977)

Runtime: 163 minutes... and I felt every minutes

Directed by: Marty Scorsese

Starring: Robert De Niro, Liza Minnelli, Lionel Stander, Barry Primus, Mary Kay Place

From: United Artists

Start spreading the news... I didn't really like New York, New York.

Admittedly, for years I heard negative opinions of this film; however, it playing last night on MGMHD and me having the time to see something over 2 ½ hours long (and it was even longer on the channel as they take a few breaks that are at least 5 minutes each) meant that I should check out something else from a legendary director, and featuring great talents as the leads.

Beforehand I heard that De Niro's character Jimmy Doyle was a little much... that was the understatement of the month. The movie is a LONG look at an abusive relationship and I realize these relationships happen all the time. That point duly noted, this guy is a grade A jerk the first time we see him! He meets Liza's Francine Evans for the first time and he keeps on harassing her for a date despite her constant protests that she wants him to go the hell away. Now, I can usually understand why someone would fall for someone who is actually a horrible monster. For example, they are all charming at first and it isn't until they have their claws in their partner that their true colors are revealed. Here, I have no idea why she loves this manipulative, rage-filled bully. Is it just because he can play a mean saxophone? Hell if I know... all I know is that having to spend all this time around such individuals was not too pleasant.

What a doggone shame as aside from the expected quality that is apparent behind the camera, the world of post World War II life in America is brought to life quite well. Furthermore, some of the sets were great; my favorite was the club I like to refer to as The Red Room. Of course, the music heard throughout is of good quality, including the several musical numbers throughout that are also staged nicely. As expected, the movie's theme song is the most memorable tune; Liza's rendition was nice although Sinatra's take will forever be legendary and probably will play after every Yankees win at Yankee Stadium for the rest of time.

Originally, after the conclusion of this film I was going to see another De Niro picture, as they were playing three that night. I understand Stanley & Iris is rather genial which makes it funny that it would be played right after Raging Bull; that was only seen long ago so that was to be watched and then its review would be posted on Wednesday. However, I then realized that seeing another movie where a tyrant of a man treats women like garbage and is horribly abusive... instead I'll rent Raging Bull on another night. RB is different from this in that it is a real life case where someone was a lousy human being and he wasn't supposed to be someone we like... but more details on that whenever I get around to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment