Sunday, April 18, 2021

Kid with the Golden Arm

Kid with the Golden Arm (Jin Bei Tong) (1979)

Runtime: 82 minutes

Directed by: Chang Cheh

Starring: Various members of the Venom Mob

From: Shaw Brothers

It was not the plan to see another Shaw Brothers movie already; however, it was due to a messageboard discussion that I was inspired to. The same person who plugged the movie Sword Stained with Royal Blood-and I then explained it did not work for me-made sure that at least I liked Five Deadly Venoms and this motion picture. Then came the awkward moment of me explaining that while I did like the former, the latter hadn't been viewed yet. Thus, for his sake if nothing else this was a task I wanted to accomplish. As it was only 82 minutes long, why not spend Saturday night w/ another Chang Cheh film?

Much to my relief, this movie was more my jam. It has a plot that sounds rather simple-a shipment of gold has to be transported from A to B and villains wish to acquire said shipment-which belies the truth that there was plenty for me to enjoy. There's a surfeit of action, right from the beginning all the way to the conclusion. Much of it was done well, which is especially impressive considering the intricate nature of all the action setpieces. There's also some humor, not only with a Drunken Master sort of character who twice uses what I'll call Jug Fu, but also a comedic duo known as Large Ax and Small Ax (three guesses as to what weapons they use) who have a witty repartee w/ each other and at least judging by one line in the English dub that's on Prime, their relationship was more than just a heteronormative male/male friendship... in addition, the title character is actually a bad guy-someone with arms of steel-figuratively; this sort of movie, that needs to be made clear-that doesn't even need to wield a weapon in a fight when his opponent(s) have them. In addition, he has a badass initial appearance.

There are laughs, bloodshed-some of it impressive-drama, betrayal, a few great fights, and more. It may be awhile before I see something else from Shaw-at least this was a gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment