Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Ice Age


Runtime: 81 minutes

Directed by: Chris Wedge

Starring: Vocal talent like Ray Romano, John Legiuzamo, Denis Leary, Cedric the Entertainer, & Jack Black

From: 20th Century Fox

In the review below that I copied and pasted from Letterboxd, I somehow did not bring up Scrat; that was an amusing side character, although I understand in the sequels they went too far in the direction of showing him: 

It was not the plan to talk about this movie; however, someone I know had it on the television so I viewed it on a cable channel. Not ideal for me, but at least I have something to talk about tonight. Believe it or not, this is my second time with the movie; the first was soon after it came out on video, as a parent is a big fan of the entire franchise. 

The plot is the oft-told 3 Godfathers tale, which is of course inspired by the Three Wise Men. In this case, a woolly mammoth, a sloth are forced to team up, have to deliver a baby to a human settlement and also meet a saber-toothed tiger that they warily befriend along the way. The story is not revolutionary but thankfully it is not cloying and low-brow dreck which would only be appealing to kids and the experience for adults is a punishing ordeal. It was perfectly fine for a dude like me who has no children and is on the doorstep of being middle-aged. There were moments that made me laugh and I do appreciate how there were some melancholy or poignant moments. Furthermore, there is some entertaining animated action to boot.

In 2019, the computer animation does look basic and not fancy; it's not to slag on how the movie looks as it's still acceptable now. It's just that this field has taken a quantum leap since then. Thankfully all three of the lead characters are interesting on their own and with each other without ever becoming annoying. As for the sequels, I've only seen parts of one (I couldn't even tell you which one it was) and as it's a sequel I will presume it is inferior to the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment