Monday, November 5, 2018

The Flying Ace


Runtime: 65 minutes

Directed by: Richard E. Norman

Starring: Laurence Criner, Kathryn Boyd, Boise De Legge, Harold Platts, Lions Daniels

From: Norman Film Manufacturing Company

What a curio I saw last night: 

For a long while now I have in my Netflix queue what is treated as episodes of a TV show but are actually movies and shorts that are part of the Kino Lorber release “Pioneers of African American Cinema”. These are from the silent days to the 1940's. I decided to go with this one as the plot sounded interesting.

That plot: this is right after World War I as a successful fighter pilot (William) returns to his old job as a railroad detective; he has to try and figure out who robbed a lot of cash... specifically, it is payroll which was pilfered. It's not a mystery to the audience as in the opening minutes we see the men who scheme to get rich and fast. William has an associate; he is known as Peg and well, he has an amputated leg. I did not plan it out this way but this was my second film in a row where a minor character is missing that appendage. Peg may not do well in an ass-kicking contest but he does assist William in his investigation by cosplaying as a bum. Plus, he actually finds a way to ride a bike AND while doing so, reveals that his crutch is actually also a shotgun!

No matter my opinions on this film just being average overall, I am glad that this still exists to be viewed in late 2018. Richard E. Norman had his own production company near Jacksonville, Florida and did a bunch of “all-colored films”, as they were known back then. At least this had enough competence for it to be an average, watchable motion picture. There is another supporting character that is a young lady and she wishes to become a pilot. That character was inspired by Bessie Coleman, a real life person at the time who was the first black lady and first Native American to become a pilot. I could speculate as to why most people are not familiar with her or her life... but I have a sinking feeling why that is the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment