Thursday, January 4, 2018

Eraserhead

Eraserhead (1977)

Runtime: 89 minutes 

Directed by: David Lynch

Starring: Jack Nance, Charlotte Stewart, Allen Joseph, Jeanne Bates, Judith Roberts

From: AFI

Wow, what a movie this is. I try to describe this unique journey below: 

I am a little under the weather and have been for the past few days. I am currently taking basic medication to try and fix that; I am already feeling better. But I thought it'd be amusing to see something weird while in this condition and well, this film was on TCM late last night... I'll just say I am glad I was not feeling depressed while watching this because WOW is this ever bleak and dark... literally and figuratively.

I usually don't watch movies this abstract and surreal and yet I tried to rate this the best that I could. I was glad that while it was conceptual, it was not plotless nor was it too difficult to piece together the basic thought that Lynch wanted to present: if you search online you'll see that some incidents happened before which made him fearful of fatherhood. The real surreal moments, that's up to interpretation.

The movie is most successful at frightening the hell out of me, and I'll boldly make such a proclamation. Between the stark black and white photography (resulting in the film usually being dominated by a black nothingness on the screen), the great sound design (the wind, the sound of the radiator, etc.) and what is shown, it is like the product of my nightmares. That does not even take into account the mutant infant... talk about something that will haunt my dreams for eternity. Its cries...

But in short, it definitely is a movie better seen than described. I understand how it wouldn't work for everyone, and also how many give it the highest possible rating. I may be like the latter one day if and when I see this again... yet due to how evocative and chilling the movie was, I personally will wait a long while before seeing it again to avoid the possibility of this actually giving me nightmares and ruining my psyche for a lengthy period of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment