Saturday, January 27, 2018

Beetlejuice

Beetlejuice (1988)

Runtime: 92 minutes

Directed by: Tim Burton

Starring: Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis, Winona Ryder, Michael Keaton

From: Geffen

I am glad this was a pleasant revisit. I talk all about it below: 

This is another one of those “I last watched it at least 20 years ago” movies; at least I believe that is the case here. Why that's the case is a little difficult to explain... as a kid I definitely noticed it was pretty weird and yet I thought it was enjoyable. As an adult, the movie is definitely weird and yet now I fully appreciate it. I get why some wouldn't be fans of a film like this; I am glad I am a fan.

As I sometimes say, I will operate under the assumption most people know the plot. Adam and Barbara are an average couple and nice people so it's easy to root for them as they suddenly end up dead and have to deal with the peculiarities in this movie's universe. You also like 80's goth Lydia as she has to deal with some horrible 80's yuppies in her dad, stepmom and the bizarre interior decorator Otho. It's easy to root against Jeffrey Jones; I am not saying that due to his perverted real-life proclivities being discovered around 15 years ago, but he was great at playing a villain.

There are plenty of odd moments and yet it wasn't so strange it was off-putting. Rather, it was interesting experiencing this world, and not so frightening that kids are repelled away. The production design is great, whether it's all the iterations of the house or the afterworld. As an aside, I'd love to live in that bucolic little Connecticut (actually East Corinth, Vermont) town. Tim Burton (before many people groaned when they think of him and his movies... because of him always casting Johnny Depp and his then love interest Helena Bonham Carter and using Danny Elfman (another individual people used to like more than they do now, due to a perceived decline in quality), or how his modern work seems rote and tired compared to his early successes) did a swell job, as did Elfman as the composer.

It's a great cast; Robert Goulet and Dick Cavett having supporting roles is zany but I can't complain about anyone's performance. It's always nice seeing Winona and this is one of her most memorable roles, but Betelgeuse is unforgettable. It's easy to forget that it's Keaton in the role, between the performance and the great makeup. In terms of screentime he's a supporting character but that works as Betelgeuse is so over the top and wild, too much of him would be a bad idea. He is in different measures funny, sort of charming, menacing, and pretty lewd. It reminded me how this would NOT be rated PG today between the F-bomb and some of the other things he said and did. While I wish I wouldn't have put off this adult viewing for so long, I am thankful this is something I can give a high rating to. The long-rumored sequel that allegedly will be coming out sometime next year... it'd be nice if it was worthwhile but there definitely are valid reasons for it to be a disappointment among the fanbase.

Oh, and it was an interesting touch for Adam and Barbara to be fans of calypso music, Harry Belafonte in particular. Some of his songs are heard but two are spotlighted; to me it's great that there are many people today who know both Banana Boat Song (Day-O) and Jump in the Line.

No comments:

Post a Comment