Friday, September 1, 2017

The Goonies

The Goonies (1985)

Runtime: 114 minutes

Directed by: Richard Donner

Cast: I imagine most know the cast by now

From: Warner Bros.

Would you believe I have never reviewed this here until now? 'tis true. I talk all about it below: 

I figured it was the time for me to watch and review something I have seen many times in my life before. It is at the worst one of the films I have watched the most in my life. I understand those that don't love the film... I can admit that it has flaws and yet due to nostalgia I can never hate it. YELLING happening often is definitely a valid complaint, along with various plot issues. Yet, because I first saw this when I was a little kid, my views will always be colored.

Of course a kid will love something like this... where kids of various ages get together on a wacky adventure in the caves under their small coastal town so they can find a buried treasure that will prevent all their houses from being foreclosed on, the villains are loud stereotypical low-rent gangsters, a huge man is deformed but he's an ally, etc. What an adventure. There are also plenty of memorable scenes and goofy one-liners. As an adult I can appreciate that the cast features the actor commonly known as Joey Pants, Robert Davi, and the unforgettable Anne Ramsey as the gravelly-voiced Mama Fratelli.

Also as an adult, I can laugh at how different PG movies were back then compared to now. Corey Feldman (wearing a sweet Purple Rain t-shirt) speaking Spanish to an older Hispanic lady aiding in the move out of the house and saying that the place was a din of drugs and debauchery because he's a smartass and wanted to frighten her... that is wacky enough, but a few minutes spent on a Classical Greek statue falling and the comedy of gluing the cock and balls of the statue back on... times were different back then. But the 80's are awesome so I dig how 80's this is, and not just with the Cyndi Lauper songs.

This is a LOUD movie which is incredibly energetic so some finding this to be irritating is no shock to me. For me, I realized it's been too long since my last viewing, and I'll consider this to be cinematic comfort food, something I can turn on once in awhile, even as background noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment