Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Dark Spirits

Dark Spirits (2008)

Runtime: 96 minutes

Directed by: Huck Keppler

Starring: Milena Minichova, Jan Budar, Marko Igonda, Vaclav Jiracek, Lucia Siposova

From: Big Pine Holdings

Here's an obscure movie... for good reason:

Here is one of those random horror movies that can be stumbled upon while browsing Amazon Prime; after I found it, I noticed that a mutual on Letterboxd had already seen it and it was a strongly negative review. Yet I still saw this. I mean, this is a film which has an official poster (currently in use here and Amazon) where the image brags that this is from a producer of A Knight's Tale-think of that what you will-and... Dragonball Evolution. I kid you not. I've never seen it (I've never even watched any Dragonball) but I know everyone hates Evolution and equates it with a venereal disease, I don't think it's a good idea to let anyone know you played any role in bringing such a travesty to the big screen!
As for this film, it's from a dude named Huck Keppler and it is set and filmed in the Czech Republic with Czech actors, yet the dialogue was all in English. I don't think I need to explain how a bunch of actors saying lines in a language they likely aren't familiar with would lead to stilted performances. Anyhow, it's a ghost story where a young lady has a vision then her sister is murdered... then said sister is actually murdered. Things happen, there is a clairvoyant (because of course there is), a strange man sitting on a park bench-but thankfully not eyeing little girls with bad intent-unfortunately, this movie is dreary and quite frankly so boring that if not for some lame jump scares, I might have dozed off.
Now, the general idea of the story is not bad; it's the execution that is pretty putrid. As it's so dull and there is no gore to speak of or much in the way of imagination or sparks of creativity, there is no need to watch something which has such a generic title and thinks it's wise to make some sort of connection to a legendarily bad anime adaptation.

No comments:

Post a Comment