Friday, November 4, 2016

Trainspotting

Trainspotting (1996)

Runtime: 94 minutes

Directed by: Danny Boyle

Starring: Ewan McGregor, Ewen Bremmer, Jonny Lee Miller, Kevin McKidd, Robert Carlyle

From: Several British companies

Yep, I haven't been around for a few days. It was to relax and yes, Wednesday night I watched the Cubs and their historic win. Last night, I decided to see this movie, as it's certainly been long enough since the first viewing. I talk all about this below via my Letterboxd review:

This is a film I saw once before; however, that was like 14 years ago so my memories were quite hazy. Not as hazy as being in a stupor doing to injecting some “horse” but honestly, the only two things I remembered clearly were the disgusting toilet and the 10 or so minutes where Renton “reaps what he sows”. The impetus of me finally seeing this a second time was not only the release of the trailer for T2: Trainspotting but noticing I could stream it for free because of Amazon Prime.

I presume most people know the plot of this being about a group of lads (most of whom are heroin users) in late '80's Edinburgh, Scotland and aside from the horrors of being addicted to the drug, there's also social commentary about the haves vs. the have nots in the city. It is a blunt and hard-edged look at that lifestyle, where you get to see “the worst toilet in Scotland” and all the horrors that come with being addicted to smack. Yet, among all the tragedy and harsh moments you see on screen-one of which is quite horrifying-it is still darkly humorous (you learn such things as, “You probably shouldn't have a dab of speed before a job interview unless you want to screw up on purpose”), and you see that while they have some troubling issues, those pals still joke around with each other and converse about such things as Sean Connery/Bond movies and what is known in the UK as football. You hope for the best when you think of these chaps, even if they are bums who are addicted to an awful drug.

Besides it being a compelling story filmed with great style and pep by Danny Boyle, the performances help seal the deal. The cast as a whole does a swell job but it is McGregor as Renton who is the most memorable. It is not too surprising that Ewan became a big star, along with Boyle. Another important part of the movie being a success is the great soundtrack that fits what you see on screen like a glove. Iggy Pop's Lust for Life starting off the movie was awesome; besides it being a song about being hooked on the H, what you witness explains the main characters quite well as Mark Renton narrates and says all the things that people can choose to do. The other tunes are from the likes of Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, Brian Eno, New Order and to great effect, Underworld's Born Slippy (Nuxx) & Dark and Long.

This is definitely not an easy movie to watch at times; yet, it is a great film and I now wish I would have seen it again much sooner than I did. I won't make any statements about drugs, as I know a good number of people online and in person who have dabbled with it to various degrees. That said, I think people should watch this before they even think of trying heroin, because wow does it look like a wretched drug to be hooked on. “Choose Life” seems like a better idea, you know. I have no idea what to expect of T2: Trainspotting. Even with Boyle in the director's chair again, things could go awry. I'll just hope for A Perfect Day once I do check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment