Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Shin Godzilla

Shin Godzilla (Or... Godzilla: Resurgence... or Shin Gojira) (2016)

78% on Rotten Tomatoes (out of 18 reviews)

Runtime: 112 minutes

Directed by: Hideaki Anno/Shinji Higuchi

Starring: Hiroki Hasegawa, Yutaka Takenouchi, Satomi Ishihara, Ren Ohsugi, Akira Emoto

From: Toho


Yep, I saw this movie last night. I know there's a segment of fans which won't like it; me, I loved it. I talk all about it below, but hopefully in a non spoiler sort of fashion: 

Those that have followed me for awhile know that I have seen various Godzilla films in my life, and I have reviewed some of them here. I love the 2014 Godzilla but I know that is incredibly polarizing. Considering how this movie is done, I know this will also be polarizing. A Big G movie centered on politics won't be for everyone, especially those who only like it when Gojira tears s--- up.

With new movies there's always the fear on my part of either revealing not enough or revealing too much. Hopefully I will remain vague enough for anyone who wishes to see this in its limited one week engagement in the United States. This is a reboot in that none of the other Godzilla films are canon to the timeline, and if you've seen 1984's The Return of Godzilla (and I am not referring to the cornball Godzilla 1985; at least after its Blu release here last month, The Return of Godzilla is a lot easier for people to see) and remember that part of its plot was a focus on politics and how Gojira would ruin the economy... well, this movie does that, only to a higher degree. In fact, there are other allusions to the 1984 film.

It seems like dozens and dozens of characters are introduced (all but the extras are ID'ed by name and rank) so I imagine some could feel inundated; it wasn't to me, though. I thought it balanced all those things out to where it wasn't disorienting. The focus ends up being on certain characters anyhow. Considering that the original Gojira focused on the nuclear bombs and Japan's guilt over World War II, it should be no surprise that such things as the Fukushima disaster and the earthquake and then tsunami that happened in 2011 are part of its DNA. As for the effects, it's practical and CGI. Aside from me having a legit reason to use the phrase “googly eyes”, I can't complain too hard even if at times it's obvious the difference between the different effects. It was at least shot nicely; all the stuff behind the camera was done pretty well, including the bitchin' musical score, where there's some classic Akira Ifukube tracks and a nice main score from Shiro Sagisu.

While I understand those who don't like this due to how it was done and how it's the atypical Godzilla picture, it worked for me like gangbusters. Hideaki Anno and Shinji Higuchi did a marvelous job with this. I enjoyed the story that was told and besides it being inspiring for the Japanese people (there are potshots against the United States; considering how things are here now... I can't disagree with any bashing of the U.S.) it was very compelling and fast paced so I wasn't bored in the slightest, and it is always nice seeing different people coming together to try and solve a difficult task. I am glad this is the first Toho Godzilla I got to see on the big screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment