Saturday, March 14, 2015

Srigala

Srigala (1981)

Runtime: The version I saw was 86 minutes long

Directed by: Sisworo Gautama Putra

Starring: Dorman Borisman, Lydia Kandou, Barry Prima, Rudy Salam

From: Rapi Films

Here's something wacky from me: until yesterday afternoon I had no idea this movie was even a thing. But, on a website I discovered that there was an Indonesian version of Friday the 13th and I found that to be pretty funny so I knew I had to watch it last night. The review from Letterboxd is below and I'll return tomorrow night.

Yesterday afternoon I was on a site and discovered the existence of this film (I understand the title means "The Fox"), described as an Indonesian knockoff of Friday the 13th; what better time than last night to watch it? It's not hard to find a copy of it online to watch; there's just two problems: it looks to be a blown up 1:85 version of a 2:35 print... and there's no copy with English sub or dubbing. Still, I watched it, even without knowing a word of Indonesian. I had a feeling that dialogue would not be so important in a motion picture such as this.

The last half hour or so are a pretty blatant copy of Friday the 13th, down to a middle aged woman appearing and at first looking like a friendly but then exposing herself as the lead villain, and the shock ending... only this time it's an adult corpse popping out of the water; you see, there's no Jason Voorhees here. This is about a trio of treasure hunters who are trying to find loot at the bottom of the lake and there are two young women and a young dude who show up to camp and the two groups hang out with each other, sometimes uneasily. The reason why Indonesian Pamela Voorhees starts killing people relates to her not wanting people to take the treasure, at least according to text I found then translated through Google Translate. And that adult corpse was actually seen earlier so it was not like it suddenly popped up out of nowhere.

I admit that I would love to see this again but with it being subbed or dubbed so I can be more sure this rating is accurate. I also would like to be sure the version I saw wasn't edited to take out some gore/violence as there isn't too much of that present aside from the ending. As is, I have to say this is about average. It didn't appear to be awful but it's not great either; in addition, the presence of wackiness/oddness would tickle me pink, but the only examples of that were a random speedboat chase and a random martial arts fight between the two young women. I was almost expecting more strangeness and inexplicable moments but alas...

That said, I am still amused there's such a thing as a Friday the 13th inspired movie from Indonesia where it isn't an exact clone and they tried to put their own spin on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment