Friday, February 20, 2015

The Housemaid

The Housemaid (Hanyo) (2010)

Runtime: 106 minutes

Directed by: Sang-soo Im

Starring: Do-yeon Jeon, Jung-Jae Lee, Yeo-jeong Yoon, Woo Seo

From: Too many companies to list

Basically, I saw this on Netflix last night as back two months ago I saw the original film from 1960 (review here) and I wanted to compare the two. I was surprised at the results. The review is below and I'll return tomorrow night.

A few months ago I saw the 1960 South Korean film The Housemaid, as it was part of a box set I have. I watched the film and I loved that wacky over the top yet engrossing film that was made very well. The remake from 50 years later is on Netflix Instant so I decided to watch it to compare the two.

I discovered that unlike the wild original this is much more subdued. The general story is the same, in that the title character is hired by a family to help around the house; she fools around with the husband and chaos happens and the family is ruined. This time said family is filthy rich instead of upper middle class, but the general idea is the same. Everything about this film is fine, from the story to the acting, the cinematography and the directing are all fine. But, I can't get the original out of my head and I prefer that to this.

With that 1960 film, it's more what you expect from Korean films in modern times, with bold and shocking things and crazy moments to go along with the story and performances. The OG film had the title character become much more of a villain after she is scorned by the husband character, and it's over the top some of the things she does but it's also Machiavellian and tremendously cruel and it was great entertainment. Plus, the film has quite an energy to it, a lot of propulsion driving the film and it's shot so well and with confidence...

Like I said this is fine but I definitely prefer the original when it comes to entertainment and having a good time. Sure, this version has the husband receiving two BJ's in one night from two different women and the second time, you see him flexing, but otherwise the 1960 classic is the preferable of the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment