Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Test Pilot

Test Pilot (1938)

Runtime: 119 minutes

Directed by: Victor Fleming

Starring: Clark Gable, Myrna Loy, Spencer Tracy, Lionel Barrymore

From: MGM

Here's a random film; it's one that I believe is still not out on DVD, for whatever reasons. Nevermind how I found it but I did and I checked it out. The cast did intrigue me for sure and the plot sounded interesting to me too. I explain the plot in the Letterboxd review, so onto that.

Here's a random movie I watched late last night. I will admit that it was the three stars and the topic of aviation that caught my attention.

This melodrama is about the cad known as Jim Lane (Clark Gable). He races airplanes and also tests them out and does dangerous things. He acts rather goofy and childish often; I wondered if he smelled too much gasoline while flying, but him loving the alcohol is probably understandable considering the job. Anyhow, complications happen and he lands on a Kansas farm where he meets the smart and sassy Ann (Myrna Loy), literally the farmer's daughter. They have a whirlwind romance and get married.

Always around as the third wheel is Jim's mechanic and buddy, the greatly named Gunner (Spencer Tracy). Now, I'd say that they were more than friends... oh no, not like THAT. What I mean is that Gunner is pretty much Jim's caretaker; you'll understand if you saw how impulsive and reckless Lane acts, especially if he goes on a bender. I know, it was a little weird for Gunner to always be around and be asked for advice from both Jim and Ann, but I just went with it. And Jim can do some nice things for other people; it's just that he's often a victim of his gung-ho attitude.

Like I said it's melodrama; you get to see how dangerous the job can be, which puts a strain on the marriage. Overall it's a pretty entertaining film. A big asset is the three stars and they all do a quality job, especially Loy, who has to run through a gamut of emotions, from spunky girl full of attitude to a wife that's overwhelmed due to worries concerning her husband's job, and she does it all well without overacting. All three are able to deliver some nice, long speeches which are also interesting.

All that drama, some laughs and nice aerial footage from the aircraft of the day make this a fine watch even if all three stars have been in clearly superior films to this.

I'll return tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment