Sunday, June 22, 2014

Cold In July

Cold in July (2014)

89% on Rotten Tomatoes (out of 76 reviews)

Runtime: 109 minutes

Directed by: Jim Mickle

Starring: Michael C. Hall, Sam Shepard, Don Johnson, Wyatt Russell

From: IFC Films

Here's another review I copied and pasted from Letterboxd. I saw this well-regarded film last night at The Enzian, the local arthouse/indy theatre for film fans that live around Orlando. I'll return Tuesday night.

I'll be honest here, it's almost the halfway point of the year and thinking of the movies that are viable candidates for my Top 10 of 2014 list, it's slim pickings. Some things disappointing didn't help but I know I should start seeing more things I figured have a likely chance of being on the list.

From this site and other places I've heard real strong things about this neo-noir film set in late 1980's Texas, where an average everyday man (Michael C. Hall) shoots a burglar-and feels regret for the act-and all the ramifications that happen from that one event. Of course I won't spoil anything but the story goes in directions I was not expecting at all, and several famous movies of the past were obvious inspirations. There is also Sam Shepard, current “it” guy Wyatt Russell (no relation... unfortunately; it would be amazing if I was actually related to Kurt Russell) and Don Johnson, who is the highlight of the film with the colorful character he portrays.

This story (based upon a novel by prolific author Joe R. Lansdale) is brought to the screen very well by director Jim Mickle, a director whose work I've heard of but shamefully haven't seen... but I would like to change that fact sometime in the future and see the horror films he did. The story is filmed well-there are some awesome scenes and moments-and what an incredible 80's synthesizer/electronic store. I heard comparisons between this and some real highly regarded films, such as Killer Joe or Blood Simple. I was thankful that it actually lived up to the high praise and can be stand on its own compared to such critical and film fan favorites; if you love those, check this out.

Note that I saw this last night, and at the local arthouse/indy joint in the Orlando area. Sad to say, even there you now experience the worst and rudest in audience behavior. I'll spare the ranting and raving and just say I am crestfallen things have regressed to that point. And to have that happen while trying to watch a movie I thought was great was the biggest bitch of it all. Sigh...

Anyhow, you should believe the hype you may have heard. This will be among the best films I see all year.

No comments:

Post a Comment