Saturday, June 28, 2014

Blow Out

Blow Out (1981)

Runtime: 108 minutes

Directed by: Brian De Palma

Starring: John Travolta, Nancy Allen, John Lithgow, Dennis Franz, Curt May

From: MGM

Here is something else I originally posted on Letterboxd before posting it here. The plot description from the IMDb, then the Letterboxd commentary.

"A movie sound recordist accidentally records the evidence that proves that a car accident was actually murder and consequently finds himself in danger." True. Travolta plays Jack Terry, a guy who provides the sound effects for films (in this case, crappy low-budget horror films but it's still a job) and he's out and about getting new sound for the current film he's working on, Coed Frenzy. You see a few minutes of it at the beginning and I wish I could see Coed Frenzy in full. Anyhow, the car accident happens and he saves a young lady in the car. Well, the governor of Pennsylvania was in the car and he believes it was a murder instead of an accident. He becomes more paranoid and on edge as he believes a giant conspiracy is trying to silence him and the young lady.

A time I enjoy twice throughout the year is when Criterion films are 50% off at Barnes & Noble. It is great for stockpiling things you enjoy or want to check out. As I am me, though, I have a problem of not watching what I actually purchase. As that sale is starting up again in a matter of days, I figured it made sense to start watching one or two of them before I get more. I've had a Blu of this movie for awhile as I heard quite a few recommendations for the film, and yet it wasn't until last night that I finally sat down to check it out. I now know I am a fool for waiting so long to check this out.

This awesome political conspiracy thriller about the Pennsylvania governor-likely to become the new President-dying under mysterious circumstances in a car accident and Jack Terry-sound effects man for low-budget films (I tell you, I'd love to see Coed Frenzy)-happening to be a witness and saving the young lady who was in the governor's car (Nancy Allen) and suddenly both are in danger... it's able to stand up to the classic 70's films in the same vein due to it's very interesting and mature story that has its share of twists and turns, layered and colorful characters, a great view of the Philadelphia of the era, the music, and most of all the stylish camerawork/cinematography De Palma and Vilmos Zsigmond.

I know that at the time some thought the camera stuff was actually too flashy; I think that's poppycock, as it works so well here and to me it wasn't a gimmick and it didn't overwhelm the story at all.

Also, I appreciated how subtle it was. Some things were seen but they weren't zoomed in on and later they were part of the story, which made me feel good that I noticed such things. It may very well be Travolta's best-ever performance. I heard from a film fan that during its filming, he experienced insomnia. That certainly impacted his performance, and not in a bad way. Again, why didn't I see this sooner?

As someone who does enjoy watching B-movies, I enjoyed seeing posters for such films as Without Warning, The Boogey Man and The Food of the Gods.

I'll return Tuesday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment