Saturday, May 21, 2011

It’s Still Friday Night In Hawaii…

Well, today has been even more hectic than I expected. I’ve been catching up on Twitter and of course I am super-bummed about the news concerning Macho Man Randy Savage, so this was placed on the back-burner until now. I’ll quickly mention a few movies I saw, and that’s about all I feel like doing right now. It is the movies I watched on Sunday and Monday that I haven’t discussed yet.

The first one I saw was Rolling Thunder, a film beloved by people as diverse as Gene Siskel and Tarantino, and yet for reasons unknown by me, it’s never officially come out on DVD. Sure, you can order it on demand from MGM, but it’s just not the same as buying a big special edition of the film in a brick and mortar store. It’s quite the entertaining yet still heartbreaking tale of an obviously damaged Vietnam vet who goes on the warpath against an exceptionally sweaty James Best-far away from his Dukes of Hazzard character-and his buddies for their killing of his family. It’s worth seeing and when you do see violence… it’s quality. Seeing it on MGMHD is the best way to see it.

The second movie was Foxy Brown. It’s similar to Coffy, although I prefer Coffy to this by a small margin. It’s still a fun movie that has such oddities as some of the acting from Antonio Fargas, a tremendous fight scene involving the denizens of a lesbian bar (!) and the main villain being a woman. And, not too surprisingly, it is filled with nudity.

Finally, there’s Leviathan, one of the many underwater movies from ’89 with a quality cast (including Richard Crenna, Daniel Stern, Peter Weller, Amanda Pays, and Ernie Hudson) and a story that is quite derivative of such films as The Thing and (quite clearly) Alien anhttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifd yet it’s enjoyable to watch. If yhttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifou want a detailed recap (including spoilers) of the film that’s better than anything I can punch up, read the second half of this column. Hey, it's a film where tainted vodka plays an important part in the plot!

I’ll be back Monday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment