Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Up In Smoke

Up In Smoke (1978)

Runtime: 85 minutes

Directed by: Lou Adler

Starring: Cheech Marin, Tommy Chong, Stacy Keach, Tom Skerritt

From: Paramount


Well, because today is 4:20-I presume everyone knows what the significance of today is in terms of one aspect of the counterculture-I figured it would only be appropriate to review a movie revolving around marijuana and its consumption, and this is the most appropriate movie I have in my DVD collection. Hey, I’m not a pot user; I have it as it’s a funny film that you can enjoy sober. Although, if you know people who like to smoke up (as I do; the number of people in that category will remain a secret) it does make things more amusing. I watched this last night instead of today as I have things planned for today.

The thing is, there isn’t too much to say about the movie. The storyline is pretty threadbare and it’s really a series of sketches strung together, but like I said it’s usually pretty amusing. You can tell that Cheech and Chong had been a comedy team together for years before they made this flick; the repartee is pretty clear. In the movie, you get to see how they meet up and become pals (Chong moves away from his rich parents; from the dad you get the now-classic line “Finkelstein-shit-kid”, so there’s that) and their frequent run-ins with the cops.

They meet up with a wacky variety of people, including Strawberry (Skerritt) with a giant birthmark on his face and a victim of Vietnam War trauma. But the main story ends up being Cheech & Chong accidentally being deported to Mexico and coming back to L.A. in order to compete in a band competition and unbeknownst to them, the van they’re using is entirely made out of pot. This causes them to get followed by the wacky Sgt. Stedenko (Keach), leading to a finale that’s odd at times, but still funny.

So, this movie filled with goofy (yet entertaining) humor-not to mention some catchy music-is perfect for this day, although you don’t have to be a stoner to enjoy this. If you don’t have that around-the movie that is, not marijuana-Cheech & Chong’s Next Movie isn’t a bad substitute, in my eyes. The other movies… I’ve seen clips of, and that was enough to tell me not to watch them in full.

I’ll be back Friday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment