Monday, December 13, 2010

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (1989)

Runtime: 97 minutes

Directed by: Jeremiah S. Chechik

Starring: Chevy Chase, Beverly D’Angelo, Juliette Lewis, Johnny Galecki, Randy Quaid

From: Warner Brothers


Yeah, I’ve decided that I’ll review a Christmas movie or two before that big holiday comes around on the 25th. I picked this one for good reason. Last Christmas I spent it at a relative’s in Kansas (man was it cold there, by the way) and one of the movies that was watched on that day was this one. I saw a lot of it but not all; the last time I had seen all of it was a long time ago. So, a few days ago I decided to rent it from Blockbuster and I saw it Friday night. Seeing it last year reminded me that the movie is pretty great, with the funny being brought at a near-constant pace. So, I am glad I finally watched it.

I’m sure that everyone knows the general plot about how Clark W. Griswold (Chase, back when he was actually funny) tries to have a normal Christmas at home with his family and all the in-laws coming over, while waiting for a bonus check to come in so that he can install a swimming pool in his backyard. Things are chaotic the entire time, from the time that they try to find a Christmas tree (and deal with the type of dick drivers that I sometimes come across; by the way, there are no mountains like that in Illinois, where the movie is supposed to be set in. Trust me on that. It was obviously filmed in Colorado just by looking at that one scene) to dealing with the loony in-laws and getting all the decorations on the house to work properly.

As I said, it’s funny just about the whole way through and through several different varieties of humor, too. There’s also some seriousness and some poignant moments, but it’s done with a tinge of humor too. I don’t want to recap the entire film in order to pick out the best moments, as it’s hard to pick one. If you haven’t seen this, then shame on you. It’s clear to me why this movie has become a Christmas classic, with millions of people watching it at around this time every year. It can be watched at any time, but the holiday season is the most appropriate spot for it.

I do have to mention that what seems like the most popular character in the film is Randy Quaid’s Cousin Eddie, the uncouth and wacky family member from Kansas who has a plastic (not metal) plate in the head and acts like someone with a plate in their head. He’s great in that role. It’s just a shame now that Quaid and his wife have all those mental problems and are literally on the run in Canada to avoid being sent to jail in the United States, with (no kidding) Dog The Bounty Hunter on the lookout for him! If you don’t know the sad tale about Randy the past few years, Vanity Fair has a great but sad article on the whole situation that can be read here.

Personally, I’d rather remember Randy for his memorable film roles-whether they be comedy or dramatic-rather than this unfortunate turn of events for him. As for the Cousin Eddie character, I’m sure that it’s better in small does rather than have the whole movie based around him. I say that as there was a made for TV movie based off of that character called Christmas Vacation 2: Cousin Eddie’s Island Adventure, where his entire family spends the holidays on a South Pacific island and Dana Barron returns from the first Vacation movie to reprise her role as Audrey Griswold. I understand that the movie is terrible, especially compared to the original Christmas Vacation. The script is apparently terrible and Cousin Eddie becomes a sad caricature. So, I don’t plan on ever seeing that motion picture.

However, you do need to see this, even if you’ve watched it many times before. It’s great stuff and it shows that even if the holiday season goes to pot for you, it should still mean something important, no matter what it is.

I’ll be back Wednesday night with a new review. It’s another themed movie, but it’s very different from this, that is for darn sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment