Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Freaks

Freaks (1932)

Runtime: 64 minutes

Directed by: Tod Browning

Starring: Wallace Ford, Leila Hyams, and a wide variety of circus performers (“freaks”)

From: MGM


First off, an apology for not posting but a small amount of entries the past few weeks. My schedule has just prevented me from seeing too many flicks. I was hoping to write about a movie appropriate for Veteran’s Day but I doubt that’ll happen, unless I have time to watch the appropriate flick within the next few days and just post that a few days late. Instead, a review of a movie that I’ve seen a few times, including the latest time, when it followed up something I taped on Turner Classic Movies (that movie I taped isn’t even worth mentioning, or reviewing on here for that matter) while I was sleeping.

This is a one of a kind film and I am surprised it ever got made; you certainly couldn’t make it in this day and age without a huge shitstorm of controversy. Then again, after a test screening for this film before it was released in 1932, there was shitstorm then and that’s why the flick was cut from around 90 minutes to only 64, and that footage is lost forever, sad to say.

The thing is, this film is genuinely considered by most people (including me) to be very good to great; it’s true, despite the truncated nature. It’s about a traveling circus that has a sideshow of “freaks”, and the oddities did come from real life sideshows, and they’re one of a kind. There are several stories presented but the main one is how a male midget is in a love triangle with a female midget and a normal-sized lady. However, the latter is actually in love with him only for his money and she’s in the plot with a strongman that’s her actual lover. The freaks find out about the plot and… I don’t want to give anything else away but the final few minutes features several images that you’ll never forget; I mean, even amongst a unique film like this, those images stand out.

As it's in public domain, you can actually watch the movie for free on your computer on Google Video; it can be viewed here. If you're an fan of odd cinema this is a must but more casual fans may like it too. By this time next week I should have at least one thing new posted here.

No comments:

Post a Comment