Monday, March 6, 2023

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze (1991)

Runtime: 88 minutes

Directed by: Michael Pressman

Starring: Paige Turco, David Warner, Ernie Reyes, Jr. & the quartet of reptiles

From: New Line Cinema

Exactly as “good” as you'd expect for a movie w/ such a title and a prominent scene featuring VANILLA ICE performing the Ninja Rap. Saturday night I revisited the original TMNT movie due to the buzz around the announcement of the teaser trailer for the new film coming out late this summer; why the trend has started in recent years of being teasers for teaser trailers is beyond my comprehension... anyhow, as that trailer is now out, talking about the first sequel was the most tubular move for me to make. Yes, I also saw this theatrically as a kid, which I'll elaborate upon at the end.

The first film was an unexpected smash success so no surprise this came out only a calendar year later. Sure, it looked fine for the rushed production... however, the story came off as slight even if the general idea wasn't bad. It further explored the origins of our heroes, brought back Shredder and introducing two new henchman-no, not Bebop and Rocksteady. While I've heard that the TMNT creators did not like how those characters were portrayed as buffoons in the cartoon, it also happens that it allows for new toys for children to purchase. Of course, Tokka and Rahzar were also buffoons... by the way, it wasn't until much later that I laughed at two cartoon animal villains being named after cool musical genres that predominately featured Black artists.

Indeed this is much sillier than the first; that automatically isn't a demerit. Rather, it's the slight story which does more harm than anything else. Even the violence is toned down-the contributions of Ernie Reyes, Jr. and David Warner-not to mention, pro wrestler Kevin Nash in costume at the very end-don't matter much when it comes to making this a good motion picture. It doesn't stink like pizza left out for a few days—after all, how early 90's it was and nostalgia go a long way for me. As for the third movie (inexplicably set in feudal Japan) I don't plan on watching that until maybe right before the new film is released.

Speaking of nostalgia, don't ask me why this is something I remember from my childhood but a memory is of Mom taking me and my younger sisters to see this movie; there was actual discussion over who the villains of the piece would be, me suggesting it could be someone from the cartoons. As she's been gone for a few years now I look back on such things more wistfully...

No comments:

Post a Comment