Thursday, July 1, 2021

Monsters, Inc.

Featuring jazz, nixie tubes & Ray Harryhausen references.

Believe it or not this was a first time watch for me. Most of Pixar's theatrical run as happened when I was an adult and in the past I haven't felt like watching those, especially the ones that were made before Disney bought them and subsequently that ended the great run they were on. As this is 20 years old and I've seen memes featuring all of the main characters, why not finally give this a shot? The high praise this has gotten also helps.

I am sure most are familiar with the story so that doesn't need to be explained; instead, I'll remark that it was creative to create a monster world and tie it to the childhood belief of “creatures in your closet/underneath your bed”, there being a reason why the scares happen and as this is a family picture, the monsters are actually afraid of all children. It has a nice cast of voice actors that unlike some other animated films was appropriate for each character (including apparent Chris Paul friend Billy Crystal) along with computer animation that still looks good-it was aided by being able to see this on Disney + in 4K and Dolby Vision-& there was enough laughs and entertainment to make me glad this was finally watched by myself.

Some other odds & ends: the opening credits made me happy. Besides them being an unknown to me at the time allusion to the climax, the art style was great and so was the jazz theme. Some clocks/timers resembling the nixie clocks of old was a quirky yet cool idea as nixie tubes are a cult favorite among nerds. I also enjoyed the sushi restaurant being named Harryhausen's. Overall, this is yet another one of those films which should have been seen much sooner but I am glad it was as charming as I hoped it'd be.

No comments:

Post a Comment