Monday, February 1, 2021

Break

Break (Otryv) (2019)

Runtime: 85 minutes

Directed by: Tigran Sahakyan

Starring: Irina Antonenko, Mikhail Filippov, Denis Kosyakov, Andrey Nazimov, Ingrid Olerinskaya

From: Attraction Film Company

To catch up... last night I revisited the Jason Statham Homefront, due to it being a hot Netflix movie of January, 2021; that was still a good time. Saturday night I saw Frozen (the Adam Green thriller, not the tale of Anna & Elsa) again, which again was a good time. That was because Frozen and Break are quite similar-even when it comes to their posters-and Break is a random movie from Russia which is more popular in the West than I first realized. The details are below: 

You know, there is MUCH more available on Prime than I first realized.

Randomly, I recently did a search for what modern Russian movies are on Prime. Turns out, there's quite a bit, most of which was unknown to me beforehand. If you know what terms to use, many different films and TV shows from all over the world are available. This picture was selected due to its length-85 minutes-and the premise sounding like a Russkie version of Adam Green's Frozen, which it does echo a few times. Also, the version on Prime is dubbed, which does add some campy charm.

The plot: several young adults are at a ski resort on New Year's Eve; via contrivances they end up stuck on a gondola lift and no one knows they are there. Like in Frozen it involves a bribe to the operator to allow entry; unlike in Frozen this guy dies due to preposterous circumstances that aren't quite as dumb as in a Final Destination film but still made me laugh. There are other chuckle-worthy moments: one character morphing into a murdering A-hole out of nowhere, someone macking on one of the two women hardcore like an oblivious fool, and all the cliches present: relationship problems, one of the women OF COURSE being pregnant, multiple dream sequences, CG that looks poor at times, one of the characters being a YouTube personality, etc.

All that said, this was at least an average watch. There was still entertainment value present; the characters sometimes go outside the gondola, after all. Even when this became far-fetched it kept my attention, in other words. Only afterwards did I look at this movie's Letterboxd page. To my surprise, this was not as obscure as I presumed beforehand; two mutuals had reviewed it last month but it was easy for me to not see as somehow I have over 1,000 followers. Many enjoyed this less than me; personally, it provided a modicum of entertainment so an average rating it will receive from me. After all, there's some lovely mountain scenery and I now know what a can of Pringles looks like in Russia.

No comments:

Post a Comment