Saturday, July 25, 2020

I Share Horrible News While Briefly Mentioning A 1912 Silent

The silent is Alice Guy-Blache's Falling Leaves, concerning a mother ill with TB and her child's reaction to it. The full explanation is below: 

The most difficult review I'll ever write here.

Not that long ago I went down the rabbit hole and discovered this short from Alice Guy-Blache, generally regarded as the first-ever female director. I will not say much about this short except that it is a touching look at someone who is hoping for a cure for TB and how a young child wants to collect all the leaves due to a conversation she heard where a doctor said that this person would be deceased “as soon as the leaves stop falling.” Right now I figuratively wish I could do the same thing. You see, a few hours my mother passed away at the age of 71.

I know what everyone will think or ask so it will be addressed now: it was NOT because of COVID-19. Rather, she was sick since January due to a medical issue I won't address, at least not now. She was in and out of hospitals because of other issues besides the thing that killed her; hospice was where she had been since May 19 as on that day she was given 2 to 5 days... yet somehow hung on until today. This was why in late May I referenced her in more than one review and said at the time that I would be gone in June for about a week... at the time I thought that's when her services would be. 2020 has been pretty awful for everyone because of the pandemic, the riots and all those other horrible moment; imagine the ordeal me and my family have gone through since January. This is also why occasionally during 2020 I have viewed a comedy for the sake of improving my mood.

I've seen others discuss real life issues-including death-so it seemed like something I could address here. At least I had her until the age of 39. As distractions are needed now, movies will continue to be viewed, hopefully on a daily basis. She is the reason why as a kid I saw such things as the Indiana Jones and Star Wars films, and plenty of other motion pictures that were either seen theatrically or rented from the videostore.

While I wish I could have stopped the leaves from falling, eventually the grieving process will end, although she will always be missed. Sometime in August, there won't be any reviews for about a week as her services will be out of state. Otherwise, expect reviews practically every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment