Sunday, January 27, 2019

Falling Up

Falling Up (2009)

Runtime: 98 minutes

Directed by: David M. Rosenthal

Starring: Joseph Cross, Sarah Roemer, Joey Pants (as many people call Joe Pantoliano), my fav Rachael Leigh Cook and... Snoop Dogg!

From: Several small production companies

This is a weekend I'd rather forget... I explain why at the end but at least I got some laughs here: 

Because Spokane, Washington is a natural substitute for New York City.

Actually, I shouldn't dog an independent film like that as they try to do their best with what little money and resources they have. This is a film involving my bae (Rachael Leigh Cook) that I hadn't seen before but as I'll explain at the end, something listed as a comedy is what I needed to see last night.

The plot is simple enough: because of reasons, a young man has to work as a doorman in a ritzy apartment complex, and a romance develops between him and a young lady who lives there. That dude is from an Boston Irish family and as Rachael is that guy's sister, she is among the few who got to speak in a “Baaaston” accent; it seemed fine to me but those from the area could disagree.

The leads are Joseph Cross and Sarah Roemer, who I am faintly familiar with; there are plenty of famous faces in the cast.... aside from my favorite there is Joey Pants (i.e. Joe Pantoliano), Mimi Rogers, Annette O'Toole, Gordon Clapp, Peter Jason, and... Snoop Dogg, as a fellow doorman named RAUL. Admittedly, him as a doorman is a questionable racial moment-and there's another segment or two which could be also classified as such-but I was really hoping for my jollies that he and Rachael would share a scene... and they do! That bit ended when Snoop pulled a me and checked her out as she was walking away. Oh, and they somehow got Mark Mothersbaugh to do the score, which was a nice get.

The humor was totally hit and miss, yet I can say this was OK overall. It's a standard predictable romance but there were some pretty amusing R-rated moments so the film was not bad. I was happy to have some laughs last night: earlier in the day I saw that something terrible happened to some people I have known for years. I won't go into detail but it could be classified as a tragedy and I feel heartbroken for them that this happened. Henceforth, it was appreciated that this could garner a few laughs from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment