Saturday, October 27, 2018

I Talk About 4DX

Last night I revisited It (the one from last year) and it's very good. How I experienced the film was rather unique: 

The original review from September of '17 will be left up as my opinion of the movie has not changed. You can look for that and read my thoughts from last year if you so wish. The 1990 miniseries was enjoyable but this is better. Pennywise in this film was great, albeit in a different way than it was in the miniseries. I still like all the kids in The Losers Club and their interactions with each other; there are plenty of scares and how Pennywise moves like an animal: creepy. I understand some of the criticisms but to me It felt (and feels) fresh instead of hackneyed or cliched. Hopefully next year's It: Chapter 2 is just as much of a blast.

How I was able to see the film in a different way: 4DX otherwise shows first-run movies. However, for this week, because of the season they are showing a few different horror films a day until the 1st... it's mainly recent genre efforts like It or Jigsaw. For months now there's been one at a Regal Cinemas in Orlando but as a ticket is even pricier than for an IMAX engagement, it took them having half-off prices this week for me to give this unique theatrical experience a chance.

For those unaware of 4DX, it's where you watch a film in 2D or 3D and there are various added effects. The seats move all around (including sensors in the lower back of the seat), wind blows at you from the front, the seat itself and even-a few times, at least-the sides of the auditorium, although loud machines had to kick on to achieve the effect-water falls on you (although you could press a button to turn that off), lights flashed a few times from the side... a wacky gimmick, of course it was. At times the effect could be subtle... when the kids rode their bikes, the seats attempted to simulate this-but other times you could get jostled around... no wonder there was a sign just outside the auditorium listing a number of warnings.

Only a few others were in attendance, although I have no idea what they draw for first-run movies. For me the whole experience was at times distracting yet it was not something I hated. One day in the future I'll try it out again for a new motion picture and discover if my opinion has changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment