Monday, April 23, 2018

Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III


Runtime: The much-preferable unrated cut is 85 minutes long and that's what I saw

Directed by: Jeff Burr

Starring: Kate Hodge, Ken Foree, R.A. Mihailoff, William Butler, Viggo Mortensen (lol)

From: New Line Cinema

I know not many people enjoy this movie; maybe they'd like it more if they saw the unrated cut...

NOTE: The version I am reviewing here is the unrated cut as featured on the Warner Archive Blu that came out just earlier this year. I wish that was the one that could easily be accessed via streaming except the R-rated cut that is on sites like Amazon Video.

This was the second of two movies I saw yesterday, also the third movie in a horror franchise. The original TCM (besides being the film which resulted in my most popular review) is still a classic and TCM 2 took time for me to warm up to as it is rather bonkers and out there. Many people don't care for this entry and I feel awful the MPAA massacred it so it was rather neutered for an R-rated picture. My never hating this movie has nothing to do with how the rest of the entries in this franchise after this was released have been utter disasters for the most part.

I understand those that don't like this, as it isn't a classic and it isn't zany fun like the second, not to mention the first two are more memorable. This seems to ignore everything that happens in 2. The lead couple here are arguing fools and some of the dialogue is groan-inducing. Even in unrated form it isn't too terribly gory. Yet I don't think this movie is bad. It's an easy watch and none of the characters are so annoying that it's a turn-off. Viggo Mortensen having a supporting role is funny in hindsight but the true highlight was Ken Foree, both his skills as an actor and the role he played, a survivalist who has a glorious scene near the end... at least if you're viewing the unrated cut. I hope the majority of people who have watched and reviewed this have seen that version and reviewed that.

The ending is baffling, yet in a hilarious way-it reminded me of an alternate version of a movie that everyone hates, but I won't name here-and that in fact was the dreaded “studio interference.” I'll say that's part of the film's charm, along with the few moments of dark humor. I'll say this is fine as a horror film as there are some pretty intense scenes. The Blu's picture and sound are really good, which is nice as there are plenty of scenes set and filmed outdoors at night. The extras look to be ports from the original DVD release-which also has the R-rated version that the Blu doesn't have-yet I am glad I made this purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment