Saturday, March 25, 2017

Don't Torture A Duckling

Don't Torture A Duckling (Non Si Sevizia Un Paperino) (1972)

Runtime: 102 minutes

Directed by: Lucio Fulci

Starring: Florinda Bolkan, Barbara Bouchet, Tomas Milian (RIP), Irene Papas, Marc Porel

From: Medusa Distribuzione

Here's another movie I saw due to a recent death, regrettably. I've seen Milian in a few Italian movies of the past so that made me sad. At least this movie is worth seeing (don't be put off by its odd title), as I explain below: 

Not only was it time for me to continue my slow journey through the giallo genre (although I will try to pick that up soon) and to see a film from Italy, but unfortunately I had heard from a mutual on Letterboxd that Tomas Milian had passed away. While he appeared in things such as Traffic, JFK and Amistad, people who have seen old European genre cinema will be well familiar with the Spaghetti Westerns and Poliziotteschis he was in. I've seen that Cuban-born actor in a few Poliziotteschi films the past couple of years, so I was saddened by this piece of news. He did not appear in too many horror films but this was the right movie at the right time.

Anyhow, this movie with the unforgettable title (which actually does relate to something that happens in the film, believe it or not) revolves around a small southern Italian village where several boys-around 12 years old-are murdered. The players involve include a rather promiscuous woman named Patrizia (Barbara Bouchet; what a bizarre and creepy yet memorable first scene she had here), a newspaper reporter (Milian), more than one person who'd be called “mentally handicapped” in this day and age, and even a witch.

The movie doesn't always make a lot of sense. I'd say that's a Fulci trademark*-which it is-but that can also be said about plenty of old Italian horror. Even with that (or maybe because of that) I was pretty entertained by this, although it's definitely strange and greatly unsettling. It's not just the child murder aspect or the first scene with Bouchet that made my skin crawl. All that and the expected Fulci looniness... it's definitely a compelling watch, and there's plenty of misdirection. It has an unforgettable ending to boot and yes, this is where the trademark Fulci gore begins in his career, although what you see here is mild compared to what was to come.

Between what I said above and the film's comments about religion, this was quite the ride and an unforgettable experience. Don't let the title turn you off from checking this out. Bouchet and the way she looked and dressed throughout should be enough to appeal to some people... as it did to me.

* Really, what a madman he was. I mean that in the nicest way.

No comments:

Post a Comment