Monday, April 11, 2016

This Is Spinal Tap

This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

Runtime: 82 minutes

Directed by: Rob Reiner

Starring: Michael McKean, Christopher Guest, Harry Shearer, Tony Hendra, Rob Reiner

From: Spinal Tap Productions

I am not sure how it had been so long since last viewing this that this is the first time it has been on a site that I have been operating since August of 2009, but it's true. This indeed is a great motion picture. See all the details in my Letterboxd review below: 

Of course I had seen this classic mockumentary before but the last viewing was a long while ago and I figured it was time to review it for this site. I've always enjoyed this and seeing it again did not change my opinion.

I presume that many have seen this so I won't spend much time with the plot of a washed up English rock band that returns to the United States for a tour and it turns out to be a disaster with a lot of calamities and in-fighting. From what I heard, this rather accurately skewers the lifestyle and attitudes of rockstars... their pretentious and haughty attitudes and beliefs, their arrogance... and events from a girlfriend upsetting the chemistry of the band to technical issues and getting lost in old buildings while making the journey from the dressing room to the stage. It apparently is so accurate that it ruined some musicians (it was like an unflattering look in the mirror) and some bands thought the movie was about them.

Droll comedies like this aren't always for me as my sense of humor can be rather odd at times. Yet, it works here. As others have said it's not a laugh out loud thing but it's never not amusing and since it came out there are moments that have become famous beyond the movie, especially “it goes to 11”. Also, if you have a version of this with a commentary by the band in character, it's great and it should be listened to if you love this picture.

Finally, I have to say that it helps in something like this if the music is good, and it is. There are plenty of catchy tunes and it makes the experience seem more authentic. The characters being modeled after actual musicians helps... the most obvious one is that guitarist Nigel Tufnel is Jeff Beck, a guy with prodigious talent but he neveer became as famous as guys like Hendrix, Clapton or Eddie Van Halen. If you're one of those who haven't seen this yet and you love seeing clueless people get made fun of but not in a malicious way, this is your ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment