Saturday, February 27, 2016

Where Eagles Dare

Where Eagles Dare (1968)

Runtime: 155 minutes

Directed by: Brian G. Hutton

Starring: Richard Burton, Clint Eastwood, Mary Ure, Patrick Wymark, Michael Hordern

From: MGM

Here's a movie I was not familiar with until last year when I discovered its existence. I saw it Wednesday night and I am glad I did. Read why in my Letterboxd review below, and note that I'll be back this morning; yes, morning as in around 9 AM or so.

To be honest I only heard about this movie last year; it sounded interesting (it deals with World War II), the stars being Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood certainly captured my attention, and I know it's highly rated. So, I had it in mind for a viewing, and I finally did so Wednesday night.

The plot (based off of a book I have never read; it's by Alistair MacLean) isn't complicated: Some British commandos (and an American; it is explained why he's brought along) have to rescue an American General who was captured by the Germans and he's held in a real life castle that's on top of a mountain (where only an eagle could reach it; humans have to make do with cable cars; it's known as the Schloss Adler) and they have to get him out as he has very important information that can't land in the enemy's hands. However, things aren't quite as they seem... I won't spoil anything as nothing was spoiled for me beforehand; I'll just say that there are surprises and there are ladies who get involved.

I have heard criticisms that is is at least a little ludicrous how the good guys are invincible and the evil Germans are easily mowed down (and their shooting skills are even worse than that of Star Wars Stormtroopers), and there are plenty of them that get mowed down. We all enjoy seeing a Nazi get killed and all but it was not that realistic. Even with that caveat, it's still a film I can rate highly. As I figured, while the supporting cast all did a swell job, it was Burton and Eastwood who really shined as the leads.

It was solidly directed by Brian G. Hutton and the rest of the crew did a solid job themselves, from the cinematography to the score and all the rest. It's a long movie at 155 minutes but it's never boring; it was always interesting to me whether it was the crackling action scenes (there are some quality setpieces, and there are some moments that made me wince) or seeing how the heroes can escape what was a difficult situation. They also have to use their brains at times; they have to be quick on their feet and sometimes talk their way out of a pretty bad spot. All in all, it is a film I am glad I saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment