Wednesday, September 16, 2015

They Were Expendable

They Were Expendable (1945)

Runtime: 135 minutes

Directed by: John Ford

Starring: Robert Montgomery, John Wayne, Jack Holt, Ward Bond, Donna Reed

From: MGM

Note that I have another review I posted just minutes before, down below this one.

This is a random film I watched late last night on TCM and I am glad I did as it's great. I explain why in the Letterboxd review below:

I realized recently I should be watching Turner Classic Movies more often so that is what I decided on doing last night and as I need to see more films from the John's (Ford and Wayne) I decided to check this out, even though it was on late at night. I am glad I did.

This is a World War II movie made while it was still going on but it came out after the war was done and over with. It is about the Navy in the Philippines and the small yet effective PT boats in particular. It's not a glamorous look at the time; the movie is full of veterans in front or behind the camera (including director Ford, who made sure to remind Wayne that he never served) so I presume that this bleak examination of how things were-while fictionalized-was at least somewhat accurate as to how full of strife things could be, where the crew behind those PT boats were made to be cannon fodder and they were mainly used to assist those higher up in command or those squadrons which were on top of them in the food chain.

If you don't know World War II history that well, the United States in that country did not have a lot of success. There's a brief romance with The Duke and Donna Reed but it's not the typical of what you'd expect of the time (whether it's a war picture or not); it's mainly used as another example of how miserable life in the troops can be.

But don't let me paint an inaccurate description of what this movie is. Sure it is a stark look at things but it doesn't mean it's not an inspiring look at those brave souls that were in an almost hopeless situation. The cast does a swell job, especially other lead Robert Montgomery, who really serve on a PT boat in the war, so you could not cast better than that. Even if there was friction on set and Ford did break his leg in an accident late in production-leading to Montgomery himself doing some directing-you wouldn't be able to tell by what you see on screen.

The movie is a great production all around; the Florida Keys do make for a nice substitution for the real thing. Of course Ford does a masterful job in making this-something that had to have a lot of meaning for him as a veteran-but I wanted to mention the cinematography from Joseph H. August; it is outstanding, greatly shot by him; there are plenty of scenes shot in the dark so it allowed for light to be used in creative ways and it certainly was the case from Ford and August.

While this may not be one of the most famous motion pictures concerning that war, it may be one of the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment