Tuesday, November 4, 2014

The Wildcat

The Wildcat (Die Bergkatze) (1921)

Runtime: 82 minutes

Directed by: Ernst Lubistch

Starring: Pola Negri, Victor Janson, Paul Heidemann, Wilhelm Diegelmann

From: Projektions-AG Union

This is another silent film I saw on TCM. This one is German and from a famed director, although this is different from his best-known Hollywood films, that is for sure. If you love the silent comedies, though... here's my Letterboxd review:

The Wildcat is another film I was able to watch last night via Turner Classic Movies. To be frank I hadn't even heard of it before I saw it was on the schedule. I looked here on Letterboxd and saw some real strong reviews and what was said appealed to me; plus, it's from legendary German director Ernst Lubistch and stars the wild silent film star known as Pola Negri, who plays a wild character here and is the best part of the movie with how she goes all-out with her role.

The film was done on location in Bavaria and deals with a remote military post up in the mountains. A lothario gets transferred to that station due to how many female lovers he's acquired wherever he goes. He is romanced both by the daughter of the post's leader and the main lady (Negri) of a throng of bandits, who you know are villains not just for them looking like barbarians but also them wearing a skull & crossbones logo.

Above all else this is a screwball madcap comedy, with many visual gags. The set and art direction are both great, making the film a constant visual treat between the sets (German Expressionist to the max), cool setpieces and the natural scenery of the Bavarian mountains. Aside from that much of the humor still works today, from the physical slapstick stuff to the lampooning of military life. I heard it described as being similar to both Monty Python and early Woody Allen. Yeah, I can see both. The score I saw it with was also pretty nice and it fit the film well.

The film is not hard to find online (you didn't hear that from me, though) so if you enjoy the silent comedies then this is a must-see.

I'll return Thursday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment