Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A Rant & A Mini Review

So, this month hasn’t been the greatest so far. I won’t get into it, but there’s been a number of little annoyances that add up. The fact that I’ve tried to watch some movies I have in my collection in the past few days (legal or otherwise) and all of them I got annoyed pretty quickly with something, whether it be characters I can’t stand, a plot that takes forever to get going, stupid moments, or a combination of all of them, and with all of them I gave up and did not watch the films in full; why waste my time and get more and more angry? I give up on movies more often than I’d normally like to admit, as again, why waste my precious time?

One thing I did at least see on TV (ESPN Classic, so I don’t know how much got edited out for time or content) was a random small documentary that was interesting due to its setting. It’s The Lost Son of Havana, about Luis Tiant, a famous Major League Baseball pitcher back in the day who is Cuban; he went to the U.S. to become a star player and as that happened the same time the U.S. and Cuba started having their problems that exist to this day, he hasn’t been to his homeland since 1961until he went back there 46 years later in 2007 to visit and see how things had changed. Talk of his father-a pitcher himself who was in the Negro Leagues-also comes up. Along with seeing his experiences in Cuba there’s also time devoted to talking about his career and how for someone that you may not have heard of before, he had one heck of a career.

I won’t get into the whole deal about the U.S. and their relationship with Cuba and whether it’s right or not; you do see, though, that Cuba appears to be not the best place to live, to say the least. Not a great endorsement for Communism! You get your share of emotions, from happiness to sadness, and at least for me it was interesting throughout.

You can find it on YouTube… problem is, for some bizarre reason, that version of it has no subtitles for when the dialogue is in Spanish! Needless to say, a good amount of it is in Spanish, so you’re SOL there unless you are fluent in that language.

I'll be back Friday night, and this time it'll be the usual from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment