Wednesday, September 1, 2010

It’s Random Movie Time Again

Yep, this time around I’ll just mention briefly some movies I’ve seen as of late-in part due to me STILL getting those Showtime channels for free-and I don’t plan on doing full reviews of any of these in the future… unless I change my mind. I mean, not all of these I even watched in full, to be honest.

Avatar Special Edition

Yep, this is a movie that I saw and reviewed back in December. For what it is, it’s great entertainment, although the replay value isn’t all that high. I ended up never seeing it in IMAX 3-D, so when I saw that the AMC Theatres at Downtown Disney were showing it at their ETX screen. It’s almost comparable to a legit IMAX screen (as I’ve said before) and it sounds pretty great. So that’s why I went and saw the Special Edition, with a few minutes of added footage. In general the new stuff doesn’t mean a whole lot for the story; it’s just interesting in a trivial sort of way. I did enjoy seeing it again in 3-D, though.

Freejack

Here’s an early 90’s movie with a nice cast (Emilio Estevez, Anthony Hopkins, and Mick Jagger; yes, Mick. As an actor, he proves that… he’s a great musician) but despite an interesting opening, this film about a race car driver who gets sent to the future (i.e. 2009!) for his body is just not that good. Of course the movie has a dystopian future-something that is starting to get pretty old as a plot device, I say-and it just becomes boring and through the motions. It reminded me of Escape From New York at times and really, you’re much better off watching that movie instead.

Fire Down Below

Yes, the Steven Seagal movie from the late 90’s which happens to have Marg Helgenberger as his love interest and a small but memorable role from none other than Stephen Lang as her brother. It’s not what you’d call one of Steven’s best works (yes, that’s what I said. They’re not all bad, I swear. For being cheesy action movies with not that high of a budget, some of his movies can be a lot of fun to watch) but it is still entertaining and has some real funny moments too.

Pig Hunt

Here is a horror movie from 2008 which I’ve heard about on various sites before and it’s gotten mixed reviews. After I saw it, I’ll side with those who say that it’s not very good. Sure, they use a nice-looking animatronic pig that looks far better than a cheap CGI porker, and the movie has a soundtrack from Les Claypool (yes music fans, THAT Les Claypool; he ‘s even in the movie in a small role) but it felt like it took about 900 hours to finish, and the characters in general are not that likeable in the beginning… then you get to meet some more characters that are even MORE unlikeable. I know I'm starting to get tired of Rob Zombie white trash characters. It also takes forever to get going, so by the time shit starts going down, you’re bored out of your minds and you just don’t care.

Vice Squad

Here is a random early 80’s movie that was on the Independent Film Channel one night and I watched it, as some people on a messageboard were plugging it due to it being so sleazy and yet so memorable; hey, they were right. It’s a trashy movie about prostitutes and their psychotic pimp who beats up and tortures them. It’s not for everyone but if you enjoy sleazy movies like this, it’s entertaining for what it is. I mean, this song from the movie matches the tone of the film pretty well, I say. The main highlight is Wings Hauser as the evil pimp character. He does a great job being terrifying as a guy named Ramrod. The name alone also says a lot as to what kind of motion picture this is.

I'll be back Sunday night with one of my usual reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment