Friday, June 25, 2010

Gone With The Wind

Gone With The Wind (1939)

Runtime: 233 minutes

Directed by: Victor Fleming

Starring: Vivien Leigh, Clark Gable, Leslie Howard, Olivia de Havilland

From: MGM/Selznick International


Yep, a review of such a famous and well-known film, one that I just saw recently, believe it or not. It was another Blu-Ray rental from Blockbuster. I was able to see both the movie and then afterward listen to the commentary track from noted movie historian Rudy Behlmer; he’s pretty great with commentary tracks and this one in particular was well worth listening to for its 4 hour runtime, explaining just about everything about the movie and its backstory and how there were production problems (Fleming wasn’t the original director of the film) and whatnot. I thought it was more interesting than the actual movie…

I don’t think I need to say too much about the plot, but this epic film (unlike any movie before it) is a giant soap opera set in the south during the Civil War and then the Reconstruction period after the war. It’s about shrewish spoiled rich girl Scarlett O’Hara (Leigh) and her dealings with Rhett Butler (Gable) throughout that long time period. You’ll see them interact with many people, including Scarlett’s secret crush (Howard) and how he ended up marrying one of his cousins (I know, not always a pleasant thought), Melanie (the rather radiant during the time period de Havilland).

Now, I do realize that adjusted for inflation it’s the highest grossing movie in history and it is beloved by so many and has won so many accolades for the past 70 years. But, I can’t really share in that sentiment. I’ll admit that it goes by rather quickly for its epic length, the acting is quality for the time period, the sets all look lovely and lavish, there are some great cinematic shots and special effects… and yet, besides it being a giant soap opera, there’s the fact that Scarlett is just not a very likeable character, IMO. I realize that’s sort of the point, but to me it was more of a turn-off than anything else. I do remember reading somewhere in the past on some sort of messageboard a person saying pretty much the same thing; I don’t know if that memory played any part in my opinion; I don’t think so, but maybe I’m incorrect.

Anyway, if you've never seen the movie, I still say that you should, so that you can say you saw a flick many regard as an all-time great. Maybe you'll enjoy it more than I did.

I'll be back Sunday night with a review of a movie I saw earlier today.

No comments:

Post a Comment