Thursday, December 17, 2009

Porky's

Porky's (1982)

Runtime: 94 minutes

Directed by: Bob Clark

Starring: Dan Monahan, Mark Herrier, Wyatt Knight, Kim Cattrall, Nancy Parsons

From: 20th Century Fox


My apologies for getting this up so late but I’ve been busy with various things the past two weeks, so it’s only now that I’m able to do this; it isn’t something I have watched recently but I’ve seen at least parts of it many times before (it’s very re-watchable to me, and most movies aren’t like that with me), so here you go.

If you’re a fan of raunchy comedies (such as, hey, The Hangover, which I’ll get on DVD sooner or later) then this is something for you. It’s set in South Florida (and based on actual exploits, so they say, in the lives of in the 1950’s and it’s a group of wild and horny teenagers at Angel Beach High School and it’s basically a set of vignettes in them attempting to get laid, spying on girls showering, and going to a nightclub in the middle of the Everglades known as Porky’s, in order to score with the ladies there. Throughout you had various subplots that all play off in the end, such as Catrall’s character and why she’s called Lassie. Not to spoil anything, but she doesn’t spend the entire movie fully clothed and I’ll put it that way.

It’s something you should have a good time with, as you can tell it’s a flick that the cast had a good time with. Many lol’s all around. It moves at a fast pace, too. There’s even a moral thing with a Jewish character that just moved to town, and even the edgier characters find out that he’s not so bad after all. The ending is a lot of fun. So, you can either check it out on a channel like Fox Movie Channel or you can find the Ultimate Collection of all three Porky’s flicks for a cheap price. As for the sequels, the second one is entertaining enough, although it falls apart with about 20 minutes to go; I guess it isn’t surprising if it includes everything from the KKK to a Seminole Indian, to a random guy playing a zombie, to Shakespeare and censorship! The last one has Porky returning and it involves blackmail, a riverboat gambling operation, and a high school basketball championship. It’s dopey at times but I still had fun with it. The first one is the best, though.

Now, there’s been talk of a remake (from Howard Stern!) of the original but it hasn’t come through. Apparently, there is going to be a college sequel that ignores the third flick and the remake still may arrive one of these days. I don't have high hopes for those flicks.

I'll be back by this time next week, as by then I will have seen Avatar, and now I'm real interested in how that flick turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment