Saturday, September 5, 2026

Veerana

Veerana (1988)

Runtime: The version I saw was 135 minutes

Directed by: Shyam Ramsey/Tulsi Ramsey

Starring: Jasmin, Hemant Birje, Sahila Chaddha, Kulbhushan Kharbanda, Satish Shah

From: Sai Om Productions

I got to see an old Indian horror movie on the big screen last night. The experience (at Orlando's arthouse cinema, the Enzian) wasn't the best-more on that at the end-but I was still happy to view something else from the Ramsay family. For years they made Hindi horror films; in the past, I also had fun w/ their Purana Mandir and their Freddy Krueger ripoff Mahakaal. Getting to view one restored on the big screen was a rare treat.

Veerana concerns a cult that lives in the woods; their leader is a Rasputin type. They have a witch which is basically a Deadite; a dude finds & hangs the witch. Well, the witch's spirit is transferred to that of the dude's 10-year-old daughter, who grows up to be a sexpot that seduces then kills dumb men. Of course, this is cinema from India so there is wacky humor that is rather broad & sometimes alien to a dopey white guy like myself, tonal shifts, and at least a bit of melodrama.

A shame that the crowd for this laughed at everything; of course there's intended & unintended comedy, feel free to chuckle at that. However, laughing at serious moments or just random moments in general where I couldn't comprehend WHAT they were guffawing about... disappointing. Yes, much of the crowd was dumb white people but some South Asians were also present. Lord only know what they thought of that reaction.

The plot is uniquely Hindi yet I was still entertained, and not in an ironic fashion. Jasmin was quite alluring as the possessed girl; there's also chilling moments throughout that coincide w/ the catchy song and dance numbers, the humor (the blatant comedic character was a chubby dude who... wants to be a director. Hopefully no one here sees themselves in him!), the horror scenes that echo Hammer, the action scenes that at first were comparable to Dolemite but later were more competent, a giant of a man that resembled a 1980's version of The Great Khali, footage stolen from two famous Hollywood horror movies, more crash zooms than in any Tarantino film... there are effective horror elements mixed into this tasty stew.

Naturally I could be pedantic and nitpick certain aspects, such as the world's dumbest father & how his naivete was needed for the plot. However, this won't occur; entertainment was had by this horror picture w/ a unique, spicy flavor. I had fun, even with a bad crowd and even at a place that used to have a nice, chill outdoor bar attached to the cinema but last night was blasting horrid deafening modern music... having to eviscerate a local cinema devoted to independent film is not ideal but I am crestfallen the Enzian has fallen off so badly in not that many years.


No comments:

Post a Comment