Runtime: 103 minutes
Directed by:Ingmar Bergman
Starring: Max von Sydow, Liv Ullmann, Sigge Furst, Gunnar Bjornstrand, Birgitta Valberg
From: SF Studios/Cinematograph AB
Rumors of Liv Ullmann’s death have been greatly exaggerated. I didn’t see this scuttlebutt on Twitter last month-it was someone responding to this rumor… if someone was just mistaken or were truly malicious claiming she passed away is unknown. If she is in ill health, I’ll be happy to give her props right now. Besides, it’s been awhile since viewing an Ingmar Bergman picture. I’ve seen Ullmann in Persona, Autumn Sonata, Cries and Whispers, & Hour of the Wolf. This is more than enough evidence to present what a great actor she was during her career.
This is a downbeat (even by Bergman standards) film starring Ullmann & Max von Sydow as a married couple who live isolated on an island in the midst of their country experiencing a civil war. They attempt to be like Switzerland-i.e. not become involved whatsoever-but eventually the war comes to them & naturally, the stress of this conflict has a negative impact on what was a flawed relationship to begin with. They can’t even have children as long as this lengthy conflict-the war and their partnership-continues.
Clearly, this journey is not the easiest to take due to the turmoil the leads experience in a difficult situation—yet it was a rewarding journey. I likely don’t need to spend much time detailing what a masterful job Bergman was as a director, or the expert cinematography from Sven Nykvist. The complex performances from Ullmann and von Sydow were excellent. The war is merely a backdrop to the deterioration of their relationship, decisions they both made driving a wedge between the two.
The ”worst” I’ve thought of a Bergman movie was that it was pretty good; he thankfully has not missed with me so far. Shame adroitly handled its anti-war message without providing details concerning that conflict—the conflict between the two leads and more broadly, war’s impact on everyone no matter their involvement was the focus instead. Ullmann will turn 88 in December; hopefully she’ll live for many years to come but I was glad to give her some praise today.
No comments:
Post a Comment